Rubbermaid instead of an aquarium?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:29 pm

Austin\'s Turtle Page talks about using Rubbermaid instead of a glass aquarium. Has anyone done this successfully with a LARGE container? Any comments appreciated, as I need to upgrade my turtle\'s habitat. However, there may be a very large dog in my future too, so would prefer to not have a huge glass container the dog could break.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:33 pm

is it just cause of the dog u think about the rubbermaid container or $ is a factor?
cause maybe u can give a look at those acrylic tank...i think they unbreakable...
but real expensive...and did u check the article in austin\'s about rubbermaid tub vs aquarium..(article section)
personnally i like better the fishtank cause u can see through...
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:57 pm

If you want acrylic tanks they have them at htis website for reasonable prices. www.glasscages.com and dont go into terrariums they dont have the right kind of sealant for water and will break under the strain. PLASTIC TUBS ARE NOT GOOD THINGS FOR TURTLES, I find that they flip out and dont like the fact that they cant see the outside world which my turtles love to watch go by. But they may like it i dont know. Goto the website and look they have great prices and value. Plus they custom make tanks which is what I am getting done for my turtle.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:29 pm

Who in the world told you an acrylic tank is unbreakable, Yaya?! They aren\'t. They scratch very easily, and the get holes very, very easily. I would not get an acrylic for a turtle for anything. Mine love to scratch and things. And, if you have a timid turtle, a rubbermaid would be great. Then they wouldn\'t be frightened by everyone moving about. AND, a rubbermaid would be great if you had a big dog, then the dog couldn\'t see the turtle, so he wouldn\'t be drawn to it. OR, you could even get a clear rubbermaid. But I think that a turtle shouldn\'t have anything but glass or rubbermaid. Okay, I think that will set you all straight. :)
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:34 pm

personnally i think acrylic is as unbreakable as rubbermaid is....that\'s for sure if u put to much distortion on it it would crack,same for a rubbermaid,that\'s what i mean...u must be gd hard on it to make hole....put i\'m agree with the scratching thing...that\'s why i stick with the glass fish tank....and by acrylic i mean plexiglas...
Last edited by yaya on Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:10 pm

btw the clear rubbermaid container are not as strong as the color one...the kind of plastic is not the same...by cold temperature it will break almost as easily as glass do...
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:24 pm

While I readily admit to being a bargain hunter, the idea of a big 80 pound puppy bounding into the room and jumping on a glass tank - well, I just don\'t want to face that. Plexiglas/acrylic scratch and break too easily - I agree. (Found that out when we replaced glass window panes in a former house, and thought we\'d do plexiglas for dog safety. Went back to glass.) Yaya, thanks for the comment on the clear Rubbermaid - I didn\'t know it isn\'t as strong! Rodeo, thanks for the link for custom built tanks. I\'ll check that out, as I have a \"spot\" that\'s dogprotected, but won\'t fit a standard tank of the size I (will) need.

For me, the biggest problem with the Rubbermaid would be those mentioned by Austin\'s : getting lights and other coverings since regular size equipment may not fit. That\'s why I wondered if anyone else has tried that route.
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:11 pm

Acrylic is quite durable and no it is not as breakable as glass. (why do you think they make lobster tanks out of acrylic??!?!?!?!) They will scratch no matter what and if you turtles are scratching acrylic then they sure as **** can scratch glass too because i find acrylic to be better than glass by mmmannnnyyyy different ways. Its more expensive for a reason ya know. But i still stick with glass because a snapping turtle does not go well with acrylic for some reason. I have two tanks and he flips when he goes into it, i guess he just prefers glass though.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:13 pm

i read in the Austin\'s page in {housing}[{ATPHabitat page,in article}],the article \"glass vs acrylic\",that u can buff the scratch(without draining it) from a acrylic tank...glass if it\'s scratch it\'s forever...i really don\'t understand why u think acrylic brake that easy...maybe there some differend quality and thickness of acrylic?? cause from what i seen before it seem real sturdy(that was the word i was looking in my other topic,not unbreakable...sturdy!!!sorry sometime i\'m too leasy to check my french-english dictionnary)....
ok,i know it sound like a saleman for acrylic but if the dog is a issue keep in mind that u can have a corner-shape tank in acrylic...:p
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:18 pm

Acrylic and glass come in any thickness 1/4inch is what it is required to come in to restrain the pressure of water up to fifty gallons of pressure for 1/4 then u goto 1/2 and 3/4 and 1. You can check it out at www.glasscages.com they sell sheets of it custom cut.
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:24 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I love the look of the custom made tanks - will probably go with that so can put it in a \"protected\" spot. Since I prefer the look of glass, this should be perfect.
prettylittlepixie2003
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:27 pm

I use one in the summer when i keep my turtle outside ....i dont do the filter stuff and change it ever 3 days ...hard to keep up w/ but it does the trick in the summer .....only 1 problem ....as you know water is heavy and it cracked once on the bottom ....i taped it up for a while and it HELD! but got a new one before i went on vacation :)
prettylittlepixie2003
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:31 pm

For me, the biggest problem with the Rubbermaid would be those mentioned by Austin\'s : getting lights and other coverings since regular size equipment may not fit. That\'s why I wondered if anyone else has tried that route.

[/quote]

CHICKEN WIRE AND DUCT TAPE!!! my turtles cage was covered @ night w/ it ...
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:03 pm

All you need to do it get a long normal mesh tank cover and put it horizontially across the rubbermaid works fine and good for the light fixtures.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:43 pm

I used a colored 50-gallon Rubbermaid for my turtle\'s home for almost a year. The problem for me wasn\'t getting equipment to fit (?)---the heater suctioned to the side, the canister filter worked well and it was easy to hang a combo UVB mercury vapor light over the basking area---rather the problem was with the container cracking. They aren\'t meant to hold water and need to be supported on the sides. More importantly, though, the bottoms will eventually crack from the weight of the water and they\'ll leak. I went through 4 of them during the time I used them. My turtle has since gone on to a 110-gallon stock tank. Rather than a 50-gallon Rubbermaid storage container, I\'d spend the extra money and get a 50-gallon Rubbermaid stock tank (they also make 100-gallon ones and even larger ones). They\'re tough, meant to hold water and will last. For people who don\'t mind not watching their turtles, the stock tanks are the way to go (and are more natural for the turtle).
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:00 pm

may i ask was it\'s a combo uvb mercury vapor light?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:31 pm

Yes you may :). I was referring to a combination UVB/UVA mercury vapor light, which provides UVB rays (more than convention UVB lights), UVA rays and heat. It\'s designed to do the work of a UVB light and basking light. The most popular ones are ZooMed\'s Powersun and R-Rex\'s Active UVHeat bulbs (there are other brands as well). The main advantages are that you need only one light and the extra UVB rays they give out. The main disadvantages are that they\'re fragile and people have complained about them not lasting as long as claimed, they\'re expensive, and since they give out a lot of heat they\'re not really suitable for tanks/containers smaller than 50 gallons.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:58 pm

thx a bunch...i was thinking about buying one of those bulb,but the cost always scared me,since u said it\'s not suitable under 50gallon i\'m just gonna wait till i upgrade in a bigger tank...i know i\'m off topic but u say in another topic that water stop some of the uvb ray do u know the percentage been stop??
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:38 pm

No, I don\'t know exactly. But the deeper the water the more UVB rays are blocked out (a turtle swimming on the surface would get more than a turtle swimming under the water).
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:18 am

you should e-mail diie if she doesnt come in here i know she uses a rubbermaid or some type of container that is not a glass tank
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:45 am

if u missed the x in my name then yes i use rubbermaid but it\'s always sunny in here (a desert!!) that\'s why i don\'t need any heaters or UV bulbs,,fortunately:)
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:49 pm

oh yes i ment 2 do that hmmmmm........ sorry dixie with out the x its die lol
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:16 am

lol..it\'s ok:) i don\'t even know what does it mean (dixie)
  • Information