turtle dock

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
txturtleguy03
Level 1
Level 1

turtle dock

Post by txturtleguy03 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:39 pm

is a turtle dock suitable for a proper basking area for an res?

Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

Re: turtle dock

Post by Lilypad » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:42 pm

I use one I think that they are fine, it keeps my turtle out of the water and she can walk around outside of the water more she loves it. I don\'t see why there would be a problem with the turtle dock as a basking platform.

txturtleguy03
Level 1
Level 1

Post by txturtleguy03 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:08 pm

thank you for the help i was hoping it would be sufficient. how does it hold up and do ur turtles like it?

txturtleguy03
Level 1
Level 1

Post by txturtleguy03 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:16 pm

another thing where in your tank do u have it set up? i have set in the corner. is that ok? im a turtle newbie sry for all the questions

Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lilypad » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:10 pm

Hi. I have one red ear slider named lilypad, lily for short. She likes the turtle dock, she walks around on it and is able to change positions easly, I have the large one. I have had it for about a month or two now, so far it is holding up great. I have it length wise, a good distance away for both sides of the glass because I have noticed that when she runs off of it the dock bounces from side to side. I don\'t want it to hit the glass. I think that if the dock doesn\'t hit the tank then it is fine where you have it but if it does I would reposition it for safety reasons. Ask all the questions you want..even if you think they are stupid :)its better to know then to wonder. I would be happy to answer anything that I can and there are many other people on this forum who will also answer anything that they can. But remember we are not experts so if anything that you are told sounds a little off ask a Turtle vet . Have fun and good luck.

txturtleguy03
Level 1
Level 1

Post by txturtleguy03 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:15 pm

thank you for your advice

guiltyeva
Level 1
Level 1

Post by guiltyeva » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:45 pm

I had the large turtle dock for two (mostly full grown) turtles. It wasn\'t big enough for them. They also bit and ate it. So, I would not recommend the ZOOmeds one.

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:34 am

I recently bought a floating dock, I think my turtles like it, I sometimes catch them basking on it, the only thing to remember is that if yours is like mine, they are floating docks so they need to be put some place where they will be able to float with no obstructions, or else the turtles will not be able to climb on them.:D

badabing75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by badabing75 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:01 am

I just purchased a floating dock for my little slider, Daisy, who is only about 4-5 inches and Ive noticed that everytime she moves, it draws water onto the surface. Is this ok in terms of health because I know that it is important for turtles to have a completely dry basking area to prevent the development of fungus.

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:33 am

it should be dry..maybe u can raise it a little bit?

badabing75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by badabing75 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:44 am

well, because it floats, i cant really adjust it so that no water gets on it, should i replace it with rocks instead? the only thing i dont like about rocks is they take up more room for swimming!

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:42 am

oh ok..they did it and they know so it must be ok:)

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:10 am

The only thing that I can think of is putting something that floats under your dock so it will float higher, I was thinking maybe something like a piece of the kneeling pads they use for gardening(they only cost a buck), maybe using super glue to attach it to the underside of your floating dock, just make sure that the super glue is completely dry before you put it back with the turtles, or you might try some hot glue, I don\'t know that it would work better, but there are no fumes to deal with, just heat, so be careful:D