Tank setup

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
stokes44
Level 1
Level 1

Thu May 06, 2004 3:53 pm

I have 2 red eared sliders. I am moving up to a 20 gallon Long tank. I am having problems deciding if I need an actual turtle tank (with the cut out) or if I can use an aquarium. I also wanted to know what filter works best (overflow one or underwater submersible). Please let me know what setup works best. Thank you so much!
shortstack1277
Level 2
Level 2

Thu May 06, 2004 7:20 pm

If you plan on getting a large tank and paying a lot for it, I would go a lot bigger then 20 gallons. Especially since you have two turtles. You\'re probably going to end up needing a 100 gallon tank or more. 20 gallons won\'t be enough room for the two of them. I only have one turtle and I have her in a 60 gallon tank and use a Fluval 403.
marbar
Level 1
Level 1

Tue May 18, 2004 10:38 pm

I have two red eared sliders and i was suggested that i get a 40 gallon, it is wide and it is long it is perfect for two. I would also recommend a underwater filter and a turtle tank becuase when you have sliders they dont need the tank all the way full, just half and the other kinds of filters cant always reach that far dowm.
Bbasso
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:35 am

I have 2 RES and one painter in a 55gal and they are getting crammed, I\'ll be going to a 125 as soon as I can get a van for an hour...
If you have plans on keeping the 2 turtles then plan on spending money!
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm

There is said to be a rule for the amount of space required in a tank for each turtle it is ten gallons of tank space per inche of turtle, so you have two of them you need to do it for each, red ear sliders can get up to 12 inches, (someone told me they can get to 14 inches but I am not sure about that.) If both get to be 12 inches you are going to need a 144 gallon tank you might want to start looking in the paper for used or cheap tanks. I use an under water filter for my tank it is a fluval 2 plus, but I am movig up to the fluval 3 plus this weekend. With a larger tank I am not sure what the good filters are I need to look into that when the time comes good luck with your little ones. The good thing about the under water turtle filters are that they are very quite which is great. Just make sure the filter you buy is a turtle filter:)
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:33 am

I have one turtle and i have a 20 gal tank with river stones at the bottom of the tank (your turtle can eat gravel and become ill).I also have a rock cave in the corner of the tank in which my turtle absolutely adores he sleeps in the cave at night and basks on the top of it in the day. He has a 100 watt light and a clamp lamp over his platform and a fluval 3 plus filter with carbon and foam pads in it to keep the water clear and odor free.
Good luck
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:33 pm

i have a 33gallon fish tank fill with 20 to 25 gallon of water but my little one is gonna to outgrowing it soon...i use 2 aquaclean filter but it s make a lot of current in the water,my turtle get use to it but i m sure u get better result with a fluval 404(wich is what most people use)
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:24 pm

i have a 55 gallon tank w/ about 30 g of water. i use a rena filstar xp3 canister filter and must say, its awesome!!!
my water was dirty and yellow and smelled bad. my turtles were getting sick all the time. i got it and a day later the water was cristol clear and my turtles have never been happier!
greatly reccomnd again rena filstar xp3 canister filter

(got on ebay for 87.00 dollares. might never find one that cheap again)
  • Information