Help! First Timer Here!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
ally520

Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:34 pm

I don\'t know where I need to go. I have lots of fish aquariums, but my boyfriend and I want to set up something different. We were thinking turtles, frogs, and crabs. I don\'t know if all of those go together? I would rather have a turtle first of all. What size aquarium do I need? This is my first time so any links I can go to or any advice would be great!
shortstack1277
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:08 pm

Are you planning on getting a water turtle?? I\'m not sure if you can have frogs and crabs in the same tank with a turtle. Hopefully someone can answer that for you. I probably think it wouldn\'t be a good idea. Turtle\'s from what I hear are very territorial as they get older, so I would just stick to having one turtle. Plus, the more turtles you get the much larger tank your going to need. Most people here on this site have more than one turtle though. A turtle can grow I believe between 8-12 inches depending if it\'s male or female and you won\'t find that out till there about 4 inches in size. I just found that out myself from Mariza. She knows a lot about taking care of turtles. Anyways, you would probably need to get at least a 60 gallon tank long or more. If you plan on having two turtles or more, you\'ll probably need like a 200 gallon tank or more because they need room to swim. I believe for every inch it\'s 10 gallons. (example if your turtle is 2 inches, you would need a 20 gallon tank. 3 inches, 30 gallon tank etc..) I recommend getting a larger tank so you don\'t waste your money upgrading. Petsmart.com or petco.com sells aquariums, but are a bit expensive to me or if there is a family owned pet shop in your area, they might sell aquariums for much cheaper. Oh and try ebay or your local flea market. Good Luck. Hope this helps. I\'m not a pro at this, but I try. =)
marbar
Level 1
Level 1

Tue May 18, 2004 10:45 pm

if you are looking for a good turtle for a first time, then you have two basic choices, a red eared slider, or a box turtle, some debate that box turtles arent god for a first time but i would suggest one if you dont want to spend too much money. i dont think that you can mix up becuase the turtles may try to eat small frogs. you should ask the pet store. sliders themselves are inexpensive but the aquariums are costly. i wish you the best of luck and i reccomend asking your pet store in the best kind or turtle. if you want a frog or toad then tree frogs are great and dont need that big of a terrarium. if you want a toad them fire belly toads are good also. i have had both and both are fairly inexpensive. well i wish you the best of luck!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sat May 22, 2004 12:27 pm

Do you want a land or water turtle? How big a turtle do you want? Read some of the info at http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articl ... turtle.htm

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articl ... turtle.htm
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:03 pm

if you are getting a water turtle then dont put frogs in there, the turtle will eat it.
turtledudeusa
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:09 pm

Hey, good luck with your turtle adventures. Turtles are awesome, beautiful animals who are fun to watch, but require a great deal of care and attention! Another good site for a new turtle owner, besides this one, is Autin\'s Turtle Page, www.austinsturtlepage.com. To find a tank,i also suggest trying ebay or half.com, but if you get a water turtle, you might consider creating an outdoor environment. This may prove to be cheaper, as an 80+ gallon outdoor garden pond (found at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc) costs considerably less than an aquarium. Also, if you live in a suitable climate you will save money one UVB lights (the sun will provide the needed UVB rays), and basking lights. Before making any decisions, BE SURE to read up on outdoor set ups on this sight. im not all that familiar with outdoor setups, but it is a possibility. Any way you go, good luck and Happy Turtle-ing...
Travis.
  • Information