Turtle filtration

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.

Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:38 pm

Had my terrapin a while now (12 years) and its time for a tank upgrade. She\'s over 17cms in diameter so we\'re going for a five footer! What kind of filtration will be best? She has a fluval system at the moment, a very basic canister job that makes my life hard work, keeping the water clean is a full time job!! I would ideally like a discreet (not too costly) carbon filter, but having no experience with them I wouldn\'t want to make an expensive mistake. It would need to keep the water crytal clear and provide chemical filtration, all the pollution in the water will make her skin shed continuously, so it must work really effectively. Bearing in mind I live in the UK (but can mail order on the internet) what and where would you advise me to look for the ideal filtration solution? Any help is much appreciated!!
Amanda
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:49 pm

hey my name is amanda too lolz im really not sure about carbon filters but what size fluval do you have?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:19 am

I have a Penguin that I bought at Petsco, but I checked and they dont ship out of the states. I love mine,it keeps the water really clean. Mine is a biowheel and it has carbon filters. The carbon is contained well, unlike my first purchase where it floated out in the water where my turtle could eat it. The biowheel helps capture and filter stuff the carbon alone cant. I read up about it but cant remember the specifics now. Just be sure to get atleast a filter that is made for double the capacity you will have. Lots of people seem to use the fluval, some even have 2 of them for their tank. So it is up to you. Here are some sites. This was one recommended by a post on here a while back. IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE THOUGH, unfortunately I found this site doesnt ship overseas. But you can read info on the filterand maybe do a search for it in the UK. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... CatId=3639
I am searching google now to see if I can find where you can get one online that will send to you. If you know how to search google for UK or another search engine you might want to try looking for Marineland Penguine biowheel. I have the mini, but it would be too small for what you are looking for. If I find something I will post it for you. Good luck!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:35 am

Here are some posts about the biowheel. Remember that some of these are from fish owners which have different needs from us. http://www.aquahobby.com/products/penguin.html
Looks like right now there may only be distributors of the Marineland Penguin biowheel in the US. Sorry. But I would do a search engine for it and you may find a site. Good luck.
  • Information