very careful stroke.

Do you have a turtle up for adoption or do you want to adopt one? Have some turtle related items for sale?
Post your classifieds or your adoption notices here. Please don't post personal information (ex: your phone number)
mskickass

Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:23 pm

I just took my RES to the vet a couple of days ago after reading posts on issues "Bob" was having (swollen eye, and decay under shell which I hadn't noticed).
My vet gave him 2 shots and sent me home with iodine for his shell and some oral antibiotics.
My problem is I am having trouble opening his mouth to get the drops in and even getting him to eat.
I bought him a heater since lately his water has been too cool (okay it was cold), and I've read they don't eat when it is cold. He is much warmer now and moves around, but I can't tempt him with chicken or rosie reds than swim RIGHT next to him.
I'm going to try tuna now. And just a bit ago he snapped at me!! So maybe I can get those 8 drops into his little mouth soon.
How do you force feed a turtle that is now starting to snap? He has been on meds since Wed. and it is now Fri. We have a follow up appt next Wed.
Thanks for any advice.
mskickass

Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:27 am

Bob is relieved I have chosen not to force feed him. After reading 2 hours of posts (very addictive!), I have decided to give Bob time to adjust to medication and warmer water temps. Water heater is a HUGE help. Just wish I had read these posts sooner and gotten the heater then. I don't have a guard for it though.
He is much more alert and again growls and snapped like his old self.
I am hoping he is snappy tomorrow so I can sneak some meds into him.
I will try tuna again and have my son try to temp him with a blood worm. Bob used to love them.
turtle_grl77

Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:34 am

You could try gently pulling on his back leg and sticking the syringe in the corner of his mouth. Atleast thats what my vet said to try.
mskickass

Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:00 am

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try that now.
I have become so attached to this little guy since he has been sick. I never held him until I had to take him to the vet. Now I hold him and talk to him and tell him he will get better, but that he has to open his mouth first!
pehbpp

Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:18 am

the thing with sick turtles is that they are under a lot of stress because they are sufferring. in order to help them get better faster, you need to limit their stress as much as possible. That means, do what you need to do with meds and whatever, but other than that, leave them alone. picking them up is stressfull, so avoid doing it as much as possible. i hope your little guy gets better soon! the heater really was a good call, it should help a lot.
  • Information