res needs home

Do you have a turtle up for adoption or do you want to adopt one? Have some turtle related items for sale?
Post your classifieds or your adoption notices here. Please don't post personal information (ex: your phone number)
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:48 am

My sister's husband recently received a res as a birthday gift. The giver of the gift did not take into account the fact that this 2 inch adorable turtle would grow and need more than just the small "death bowl" it came in.

My sister asked me to take it, but I already have 2 missippi maps that can't be house together due to aggression.

I can not take another turtle, so I was wondering if there is anyone who knows a way that I can find the little guy a new home.

(the turtle is located on long island in new york)
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:13 pm

i would be willing to take it, however, I cannot pick it up. My turtles were shipped to me via DHL. If you'd want to send it, I'd be willing. Leave a post or email me at [email protected]
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:41 pm

oh this is so kind of u toxiceagle :cry:
kelleytidwell
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:48 pm

Res's can survive on there own. Just a thought. Minde did for 1-2 years and if I wouldn't play with him so much he wouldn't get so sick.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:13 pm

I am looking into giving it to a local pet store. There are a few non-chain stores in the area that might be willing to put it in one of their tanks until it is big enough for them to sell.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:14 pm

Oh, and Kelley, what do you mean by "on their own"? They need a lot of things in order to be cared for properly.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:24 am

yeah if they are used to being fed then they can't just find their own food..turtles need lots of care
kelleytidwell
Level 3
Level 3

Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:54 pm

THis is true but in the same time it's not. My vet said turtle owners tend to "Baby there turtles" but in reality there from generations of other turtles and it's there instinct like in there blood. I agree. Just like we do where babied and raised and fed, then one day we go out in the big world alone. We may need alott of things but it is our instinct to take care of whatever happens. It's life. Like how do you think I think seeing all the sea turtles hatch and so helpesly go back to the water all alone? Same thing with wonded anamials in wildlife rehabilitation like the seals and the whales they've relased. They've done fine and they where fed by humans etc. Not trying to argue trying to make my point. I used to say the same but the vet told me that it's just natural for turtles to go throught certain things. Like mine had water in the lungsall he had was a little water in his lungs. And turtles will normaly bask or stay above the water for a few days cause breating to be harder under water and he fought it off all natural. Of couse I had other insturctions as well. Like check on him more often DO NOT PLAY WITH HIM. And let him heal naturaly that is his best immunity. The DR. I found had turtles all his life and specialized on turtles because of that. He has alott of knoleadge. He just charges alott for it. So............. just makeing a comment.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:16 pm

It depends on what you mean by babying you turtle, I don't do the "goo-goo, gaa-gaa" thing, but I do make sure that their habitat is as good as I can get it, that their temps. are what they are supposed to be and that they get fed when they are supposed to eat, I let them walk around the room once in a while for exercise, and make sure that if they climb something they won't get hurt.

Instinct is a natural thing in the wild, sea turtles being aquatic will naturally head for the water as soon as they are born, after that they will do what turtles do in the sea, eat or get eaten. When you take the turtle out of the natural surrounding, you break their natural instinct, they no longer are exposed to nature in the way they are supposed to, instead they are put in a tank or pond where you decide what they are going to interact with, you decide what kind of fish they will have to eat, what plants, what kind of filtration, etc., etc.

As for rehabilitating animals, well, they were wild to begin with, so their instincts are intact, the only difference will be some stress caused by their injuries and being handled by the rehabilitators.

The vet may be as smart as he is but if he thinks that when you take a turtle in from the wild or from a petstore and you can just leave it alone and it will be fine, I would have to strongly disagree with him.
"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose..."
From: http://www.spiritual.com.au/articles/pr ... ceCh21.htm
THE LITTLE PRINCE Chapter 21 second to the last phrase

http://www.spiritual.com.au/articles/pr ... ntents.htm
Kitty
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:33 am

Yes, We are responsable for our own actions, and should choose are pets wisely.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:53 am

i agree with stray..and actually sometimes i think that it's easier for turtles to be taken care of in nature cz they know what to do and they get the right things for it, like when they live in a pond or lake they have rocks for basking and natural sunlight..when we have them indoors, they'll know that there's nothing to worry about and it's a sweet pink world..when u release them to nature, they wouldn't be strong enough to survive by their own cz they weren't taught how to catch their own food (or do u call some guppies locked by 4 sides a food-hunt??)..that's why sea turtles are endangered bcz we can't keep them indoors..and i don't think that those semi-aquatics we find are common bcz they breed in nature since the eggs can be squashed or eaten easily and hatchlings die very often
  • Information