Adopting Out Five Aquatic Turtles

Do you have a turtle up for adoption or do you want to adopt one? Have some turtle related items for sale?
Post your classifieds or your adoption notices here. Please don't post personal information (ex: your phone number)
creative_native

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:17 pm

Here is our story: I bought three of my turtles in 1999 and two more in 2000. All these years I have cared for them well, as some might care for their children. As a result, they are all very healthy, lively and happy. However, over the years, the reality of rheumatoid arthritis is gradually diminishing my ability to care for them as I always have and at this point, I can only expect my arthritis to worsen. So, I have been looking for people or an organization who I may adopt them out to, with no luck so far. I have always expected that one day I'd be bequeathing them to someone, never expecting that my health would prevent me from properly caring for them before that would happen. This is who they are and and their setups:

1 male red eared slider
1 female Mississippi Map
1 male Florida Peninsula Cooter
These three I have had since they were just older than hatchlings in 1999. They stay in a 110 gallon aquarium and I recently replaced their API/Rena XP4 canister filter with a Fluval FX6 filter.

2 Southern Painted turtles who stay in a 55 gallon tank that is filtered by a API/Rena XP4 canister filter. These two I have had since 2000 and they have never grown to nearly the size of the older turtles. They are both relatively small in comparison. They are a male and female.

My reluctance to act on adopting them out quickly by now stems from my fear of them not going to a loving home. If you are experienced, capable, caring and interested, please respond.
Chopsley
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:53 pm

What part of the world you live in ?
Can you link pictures of each when totally dry ?
What is there "SCL" length or weight ?
Are you willing to break up the five?
creative_native

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:48 pm

I stay in western North Carolina, USA. Because of the aquariums, canister filters and related equipment, it seems that moving them somewhere in the region would be most practical.

I will take photos of them dry a.s.a.p.

I will also measure them at that time.

I would prefer to keep the three and two together. They have lived together for 20 years now.
Chopsley
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:29 am

You know in western North Carolina there is a great 501c3 organization that may take them. At one point they were looking to expand the reptile section. It’s in Asheville , the WNC Nature Center. Call and talk to a board member. If not they will have more connections for you in your area. Did you know a box turtle is your state’s reptile.
creative_native

Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:32 pm

Thank you for the information, Chopsley!

I did know the box turtle is NC's state reptile. I used to have a three toed box turtle and she was amazing.

I will certainly contact the organization you referenced in Asheville.
  • Information