Cod Hard On Generic Discount

Post questions or pictures of your pond setups.
Mebitalii

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:01 pm

hi I'm just wondering if your new turtle bites you will it hurt and will it bleed and break the skin??? Also i'm wondering would you have to go to your doctor or something??
deesygirl

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:31 pm

It depends on the turtle. I have been bitten by babies and it stings a bit but that is all. I have been bitten by an adult female RES and it was way different. She bit my hand just below my little finger. She took a huge chunk of flesh and bit to the bone. I cleaned it out with some betadine and used butterfly strips but I probably should have had some stiches.
turtle_grl77

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:44 pm

[quote="Pyramid Head"]Ironically the hamster was the worst, considering I can't actually remember the dog attack. I was 5 and I'm not exactly brilliant at remembering my childhood maulings :roll:[/quote]
Thats funny yet not funny. I too was mauled by a dog when I was like 2. Have vauge memories of it and a scar that runs underneath my left eye. I dont really remember any other bitings I may have had except another dog biting my knee. But that was nothing.
Toghibappoign

Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:03 am

As with any animal, if it's scared, it will try to defend itself, or scare you off!
Turtles normally only bite because they mistake your fingers for food, they are really greedy.
Just goes with the territory though I guess, at some stage you are gonna get nipped!
FulaaLbulsE

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:15 pm

It all depends on how they bite you, how much skin gets in there! I have been bitten by a 8 inch female res, {NEVER touch an adult res's nose, just a bad idea} and also been bit by an almost 1 inch striped mud baby {they have very long necks!} BOTH hurt ALOT, and both bled alot. They both got small chunks of skin and I have the scars to prove it! Just show respect for them, let them know your there by talking to them so they see you coming and don't freak out, and stay to the back of the shell. Any animal has the possibility to bite, just be carefull and your fine. I never went to the docs, it bled alot so no bacteria inside, and I washed with antibacterial soap. I never worry about that too much, I always have cuts on my hands and with 27 turtle's and tortoises here I always have a hand in a tank, just wash well.
Limited Edition

Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:42 pm

I can share my experience about this.

I was bitten a few times accidentally when feeding my turtles and organizing some of their decor with them in it. And for some reason, one of them bit me on my finger and i felt instant pain. You feel the power of the jaw, but the teeth did not cause my skin to break. Rather, you see the markings of both upper and lower jaw on your finger for a few hours. It does go away on it's own and never did I do anything to help it heal faster.

There is no worry for disease if you know your RES well enough.
  • Information