Hi -- I'm new and I have some pictures and one big question

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
IrredsapSar

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:18 pm

Hi. My name is Karen and I've recently adopted two baby red ear sliders. They're teeny tiny (quarter-sized shells), but they're very active, swim all around, have begun to eat a little bit, and I think they're doing okay so far :D Their names are Castor and Pollux (hee hee my husband and I thought really dramatic names would be suitable :lol:).

Anyways, pics will follow, but so far I have gotten them a ten gallon glass tank, filled about three inches high with water, with a sort of bridge-like rock where they can bask. I have a 75-watt UV and heat lamp, which they are getting good use out of.

[b]My question concerns the filter[/b]. On the advice of the petstore employee, I purchased a Duetto 100 Submersible Power Filter. First of all, it's GIGANTIC lol; it takes up like 1/4 of the tank, which I didn't realize in the store. Second of all, it seems WAY TOO POWERFUL -- we tried to hook it up and it made the water whip around the tank like a whirlpool. It was insane and definiately not good for such tiny little turtles (or anyone for that matter).

So, my question is, what is a good filter that will do the job, but not take up half of the tank or toss the little babies around? We have, like I said, 3 - 3 1/2 inches of water (so the bridge/rock thingie can stick out of the water for basking). Any advice or product-suggestions you could give me would really, really be appreciated. :) I'm just a little concerned because they've been in the tank for a day now without a filter. I took them out briefly earlier to let the crazy powerful filter run a little bit and clean the tank out a bit, but I really need to get something good fast for them! You wouldn't even believe how violently the water in the tank was sloshing around with that filter. Who could live like that!?

And now, PICTURES of the adorable little turtles!

[img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224 ... rtle05.jpg[/img]
Basking on their rock. I love how they lie on their bellies and stick out their legs lol

[img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224 ... rtle01.jpg[/img]
What a serious expression for something so teensy!

[img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224 ... rtle02.jpg[/img]
Underwater wall-swimming.

[img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224 ... rtle03.jpg[/img]
Climbing to shore.

[img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224 ... rtle04.jpg[/img]
One swimming, one basking.

- Karen[/img]
pehbpp

Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:42 pm

aw, how cute. They are adorable and look really happy in their home. my guys to the leg thing too, its soo cute.
As for your filter. it does seem like it is too much for right now. so i would go buy a smaller one for now. The thing is, the tank will eventaullty become to small for them, and you will need to raise their water level to make them happy, so i would hang on to that bigger filter until you upgrade to a bigger tank (the rule of thumb for that is: 20 gallons for one full-grown turtle, and and extra 10 gallons for every other turtle. so your tank for their home when they are full grown should be at least 30 gallons. i have a 40 for my guys, but just looking at them now, i think i might upgrade to even bigger. but, like i said, 30 would be the min). when you get this bigger tank, and have more water than 3 inches, a bigger, more powerfull filter will be your best friend. i recently needed to upgrade my filter to a bigger one because my old one was not doing enough, their tank got dirty so quickly, so this big one is better. if you only have 3 inches of water, then i would reccomend the filter that i had before. it was a reptofilter, i cant remember the brand right now, but i got it at petsmart in the reptile aisle. it is perfect for shallow, small reptile vivariums, and it works in as little as 2 inches of water, so your 3 inches would work well with it. it isnt as powerfull, but it does clean the water, and the current isnt as strong.
hope this helps
IrredsapSar

Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:34 pm

Fred_and_George wrote:aw, how cute. They are adorable and look really happy in their home. my guys to the leg thing too, its soo cute.
As for your filter. it does seem like it is too much for right now. so i would go buy a smaller one for now. The thing is, the tank will eventaullty become to small for them, and you will need to raise their water level to make them happy, so i would hang on to that bigger filter until you upgrade to a bigger tank (the rule of thumb for that is: 20 gallons for one full-grown turtle, and and extra 10 gallons for every other turtle. so your tank for their home when they are full grown should be at least 30 gallons. i have a 40 for my guys, but just looking at them now, i think i might upgrade to even bigger. but, like i said, 30 would be the min). when you get this bigger tank, and have more water than 3 inches, a bigger, more powerfull filter will be your best friend. i recently needed to upgrade my filter to a bigger one because my old one was not doing enough, their tank got dirty so quickly, so this big one is better. if you only have 3 inches of water, then i would reccomend the filter that i had before. it was a reptofilter, i cant remember the brand right now, but i got it at petsmart in the reptile aisle. it is perfect for shallow, small reptile vivariums, and it works in as little as 2 inches of water, so your 3 inches would work well with it. it isnt as powerfull, but it does clean the water, and the current isnt as strong.
hope this helps
Hi! Thanks so much for your reply! I took your advice and got a smaller filter, which is about half the size of the first one and is NOT making the water whirlpool lol. I also added two small plastic plants, which the babies are climbing on :lol:

I DO have one small concern. One of them is very eager to eat -- I put food in the tank, he goes to grab it, but then misses (I've only seen him actually take a bite of anything twice) and eventually loses track of the food and gives up. I'm concerned that they might not be able to catch hold of the food enough to actually eat. Am I just being overly concerned? Also, the other one hasn't even attempted to eat anything, as far as I could see, though he's otherwise totally active, swimming, basking, etc. Maybe I'm worrying too much because they're SO little and they seem fragile.

Anyway, thanks for the tank tips :) For now, I think the 10 gallon is okay; they seem lost in the 3 inches of water lol, but once they start growing (God willing) we'll invest in a bigger home and deepen the water. I really hope this filter does the job! It's so much better than than first one and I'm surprised the guy at the store suggested that huge one to me. In hindsight, I should have realized just by looking at it that it was too much.

- Karen :D
pehbpp

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:16 am

try smaller food peices, it may be easier for him to grab onto. it might make the food seem less intimidating to the other one, too, and he may start to eat. but, if they dont eat lots, its not a big deal, as long as you are offering food, there isnt much else you can do
glad i could help :D
Toghibappoign

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:54 pm

Hello and welcome!
I think breaking up the food would be a good idea definately.
Umm, also, it would be a really good idea to get rid of the small pebbles in your tank. It may not seem possible just now, as your guys are so small (and SOOO cute!) but they will try to eat the pebbles and could/will end up blocking their insides and causing them a lot of pain!
I personally have taken all my pebbles out completely and have left the bottom empty. But you could replace it with larger rocks.
Either way, get rid of the stones, for peace of mind, if nothing less!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:38 pm

how adorable!! :D :arrow:
  • Information