Special glue?

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
Annabelletsw

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:07 pm

Hello. I'm in the process of creating my turtle, Speedy, a new platform out of plexy glass. The problem I'm running into is finding a special glue to attach the plexy glass to the tank. One person told me to use aquarium sealant, but will that really hold a 3.5 lb turtle?

If anyone knows of a non toxic, heavy duty glue, that would be great! Thanks!

-Om
karinasasisa1931

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:20 pm

yea it will as long as you let it set up completely. I think that takes 48 hours.
clodydync

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:52 pm

Hi, i am doing the same as you and actually wondered about the very same thing. My terrapin is 15 years old and fully grown and weighs nearly 4 pounds on the scales. I am going to use ordinary tank glue too but make sure to leave it a good while. Let me know how you get on and i will let you know too.
Thanx
suippefrepunk

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:59 am

I'm doing the same (or rather my dad is :lol: ) with perspex (couldn't find plexi glass in the uk! and aquarium sealant
clodydync

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:15 pm

Actually my dads going to help me too, he's using perspex too. I am very surprised that you cannot find proper aquarium glue. I ordered it from my local pet shop. Try there.
rewize1

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:58 pm

Aquarium glue/sealant is silicone.
Are you attaching the plexiglass directly to the tank or will you be able to move/remove it for cleaning or tank rearranging?
clodydync

Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:14 pm

I am glueing the perspex straight unto the tank to act as a platform for my terrapin to climb unto and bathe. But i will also cut out square shapes of perspex to fit the bottom of the tank. I will decorate it by glueing down things, ornaments and large stones for example and i will have it that it can be removed for cleaning. Wish me luck everybody, for i have waited years to do something like this for my terrapins as you all can understand that when your terrapins get to adulthood, everything you previously had in the tank needs to be removed for they become too big and disruptful. So wish me luck that i finally achieve the fun tank that ive always wanted for my babes.xx If anyone has suggestions for a tank design then i would welcome your suggestions gratefully.xx Thanks.
Annabelletsw

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:01 pm

Haha. I actually changed my design completely. I'm now building a sun spot on top of the tank for her out of oak wood and plexiglass. Some petshop worker was telling me my turtle would knock the platform off the wall before I got responses here so I had to completely rethink my design. Thank you guys though!
kittymenriqu

Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:38 am

Yes! Volume is correct... It's Silicon Paste that u need to use to stick it... This is wat Aquarium shops use to build those tanks for u :))
  • Information