Tank Size - Rubbermaid??

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
Anastasiakot

Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:49 pm

K... I have been reading that a large rubbermaid tub is a good tank... my question is : A Permanent tank or a temporary tank?

Can you put the heater / filter on a rubbermaid?
Sorry if these are dumb questions, I just got a RES and I have no idea how old it is. (story on these boards somewhere! )
It's about 7 inches big, maybe. So... how old is that? And how much bigger do they get?
Should I get a rubbermaid now and then work on getting a bigger one later when it's full grown?
Or do I just get a large aquarium now?
75 gallon??? Or is 50 OK?
OR BIGGER!?!?!?!?
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:37 am

Rubbermaids are deffinatly only a temporary home for turtles. Try to get the biggest sized rubbermaid you can find. (40+ gallons). You'll have to take a rope or belt and wrap it around the width of the rubbermaid in the center. Try the rope so that the rubbermaid's sides don't start to 'push out' when you fill it with water. You can put a heater and filter in the ribbermaid, yes.
Make sure you quench all of the turtles other needs. UVA/UVB Light, Basking Light, Basking spot, deep water to swim in, a spot by the basking spot were he can be in the water ans still stcik his head out to breathe would be nice too.
You're turtle sounds like its almost full grown if its a male and if its a female it still has just a little ways to go.
You'll need to satrt saving up for a 75 gallon tank. You can get them for $200 with a stand.
I had my first turtle in a rubermaid but through the years I've gotten a lot of free tanks and bought some brand new ones.
I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, ask!
Willie
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:33 pm

ur guy is almost done with growing or has a couple of inches more at maximum to grow so if u can afford a 75 gallon that would be great. how much more do u expect to save for?
hoover05

Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:50 pm

Actually Willie, I know some people keep their turtles in the rubbermaids permanently... Dixieee, I believe, is one of them.

Another option you could consider is a kiddie pool... Not the kind with the soft plastic though that like you inflate and stuff because I heard they can pop it. It would have to be rather deep though to actually 'live' in. I have one outside for my turtle, but she can climb out of it so I have to watch her every second.

Turtles are really good climbers, so be sure that the basking area isn't too high. For 7" shell length, you should probably have at least a basking area that is at LEAST 10" below the edge. Either that or you can be really safe and get a screen for overtop of it. Make sure it is secure and that light can get through it, though.

Good luck!
centex
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:30 pm

Kdubbs---Where do you live? I have a 100 gallon tank that is just setting in my garage. Texas by any chance?
turtle_grl77

Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:46 pm

Man if only I lived closer to ya, I would buy it from ya. I know eventually I will need bigger than what I got now (40 gal long)
Anastasiakot

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:32 am

I live in Utah. So, pretty far from Texas.

I have him in a kiddie pool for now. It is into the 100's during the day outside, and his water is staying nice and warm. This is the funniest thing I have ever built with the items in my garage!!! ;) It will buy me some time to get his indoor area ready. I don't think he can climb out. If I leave him out in the kiddie pool for very long, I will build a screen for the top.

I don't really have to "save" too much for the set up. Ijust want to research what I need so that I don't have to buy things twice because I screwed up the first time. And I need a table or a stand to put it on for my house, etc... and rearrange the house to fit him in!!! ;)

I am keeping my eyes out in the classifieds, there area actually a lot of aquariums in there usually.

I think I will probably get an aquarium instead of a rubbermaid, just because it will look better in my house. (dumb reason)

and I just found a friend of a friend who has RES's. So that is good, I have a local resource and won't have to ask every question on here!!!

My Brueghel (the turtle) is actually quite friendly and not too scared at all of us.
Here is his Condo:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/ ... G_0366.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/ ... G_0367.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/ ... G_0368.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/ ... G_0369.jpg
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:25 pm

check www.cragslist.net (or .org maybe i'm not sure). they have some give-aways and u could find something useful (either a tank or even a stand for it..). and it's not a dumb reason, it is almost the main disadvantage of rubbermaids. yes i do use one and it's temp hopefully till i move into my own home. i got the money but not enough space for a big one (75 gallons +) and my room is too dark and sun hardly gets in so keeping them there is not an option.

anyways that's not about my turtles :oops: so it's a good job u've done in there :P :P
  • Information