Hot Glue in tank?

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:47 pm

I know I've asked this before :oops: , but I got some fishing lead weights that I'm going to hot glue into the bottom of the plant tray things. Do you think this is a good idea (using the hot glue)? My dad said that if it's not, I could just get the sealance stuff that the companies use to seal the tanks.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:02 pm

I wouldn't use hot glue. Use aquarium silicone--it's safe for turts. And I wouldn't use lead weights if they're going to be in the water with the turtles--some is going to leach into the water, and lead isn't good for people or turts.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:26 pm

I was going to ask why not hot glue, but I found a thread about it:
http://www.petfish.net/forum/index.php? ... adid=29713

UPDATE:
I found one saying that he hasn't had any problems with hot glue:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_caves.php

Any more info you can provide would help alot. thanks. :D
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:09 pm

So I shouldn't use the weights? (They are lead.) Any idea where I can buy the silicone stuff? Should I just use the silicon to 'glue' marbles onto the base of the plants? How do you guys keep you plants firmly rooted?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:41 pm

SKF, please reread those links. In the first one, a number of posters disagreed with using hot glue. In the second link, a hot glue gun is used...but with aquarium safe silicone.

Aquarium silicone is safe, that's why it was recommended.

You can get aquarium silicone at places where they sell aquariums, even Walmart sells it.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:12 pm

Yes, I read the whole threads, but I wanted your imput on the subject, I did not mean it to sound like a disagreement, I respect your opinion and therefore I asked for your view on the subject.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:48 pm

i respect ur opinions too but some ppl said there's no harm in using hot glue (in stray's links)..ok and as a personal experience, we used hot glue once when my dad was trying to make a cave out of marbles for my turtles..the only problem we faced was that it didn't hold well and the turtles were able to destroy it easily
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:50 am

I know this is not meant to be a disagreement...:)

OK, what brand of hot glue (unless "hot glue" is a brand name, which it doesn't seem to be--there seems to be more that one kind if you do a search)? I'm assuming there are different components to different types, and, sorry, I can't spend the time finding out. Bandgeek, who posted this question, should do the research to find out.

Bankgeek asked about "hot glue"--I gave the safest option, which is aquarium silicone (which is my imput). I'm not about to second guess something that's proven safe. (There is actually another type of silicone that can be used, but I've forgotten the name, and am not going to guess at it in case I'm wrong.)

Dixxie, who are "some people"? Some people say it's safe, some people say it's not. You choose to listen to some people who say to use it. I don't know who these people are or what their level of experience is, so I don't. And even if you didn't have anything negative happen to your turts, why would you recommend using something that doesn't last long (I think everyone who posted in those links said that was a drawback of using it, whether or not they thought it was OK to use).
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:26 pm

I will find some stainless steel screws to fasten the bubble curtain to the bottom of the fake hollow log. :D thanks mariza :D
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:09 pm

Now how did stainless screws get into this discussion? :)

Bandgeek, you want to keep plastic/fake plants from floating? What I did was to use aquarium silicone to glue a flat rock to the bottom of the plastic base of the plant. I let it dry 48 hours and then put the plant in the tank. The siliconed stone weighs down the plant. I'm using some that I siliconed over two years ago. Marbles would probably work as well, but a flat rock has more surface area that can be glued to the plant base (and the plant "stands" evenly in the tank).
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:08 pm

Now how did stainless screws get into this discussion?
That is how I attached the bubble curtain to the fake hollow log so that the turtles wouldn't pull the curtain out from under the log. :D
Kitty
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:44 pm

I actualy make and sell terriarum plants for under water and out. WHY RISK IT. use 100% silicone same as tank sealer just differnt deptment and a lot cheeper. Ok so now that I'm giving up my secrets...LOL use a little red clay pot stick your plant in it fill with gravel and seal with silacone, then take more gravel and put it on top and press it in, let sit over night, then turn upside down and shake off extra gravel... I promise if you do this I won't file patten infringment suites...lol my plants are in over 300 petshops and 5 of the western states sadly people are now making cheep copies and using plants with wires inside...very deadly..remember no plants with wire under the plastic usaly the stem.
Bbasso
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:17 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread... But if your looking for something that WILL hold anything have you looked in to this?
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW ... mdy00.aspx
It's safe and workable.
  • Information