Turtle Filter Recommendations PLEASE!!!!

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
TurtlesILove

Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:22 pm

Hi. I'm new here. I was recently left to care for my sister's 2 RES (Turtle and Waka). Her and her husband had to move and couldn't take them. They raised them since they were babies, so you can imagine how difficult it was for them to leave the turtles w/ me. I recently had to seperate them b/c they started to fight. I am planning to get a new tank for Waka but I have no idea what filter to get. Please help. The turtles are from Japan and the filters are from there as well. Since I can't go there and get the same filter, I need an alternative for Waka's new tank. I am thinking of getting a 50 gal tank. What is the best filter that keeps the water clean? I read on this sight that Aqua Clear 300 is good? Any one try is? If so, how often did u have to clean the filter?
Sorry for the long post. :D
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:26 pm

I'd recommend a fluval for a 150+ gallon tank. Fluvals are easy to find and so are the filter cartridges and such. I don't know much about the Aqua Clears. Hope this helps :)
TurtlesILove

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:42 pm

:P You've been very helpful. Thanks!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:28 am

I am having the same problem, I have to get a bigger filter but I am undecided as to which to get, they are all expensive so I will have to save up for one, meanwhile, I am still comparing. Walmart was no help, all they have is those cascade ones. :x
RES
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:13 pm

I have a Fluval 4 Plus submersible pump. It seemed to be working, but now I'm not sure. I bought it because Fluval is highly recommended. I recently purchased a Marineland Emperor 400, also highly recommended, but I haven't been able to get it to prime.
RES
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:06 pm

Follow up to my previous reply:
The Emperor 400 won't work unless the tank is filled with water. Not ideal for turtles, but perfect for fish aquariums. I spoke to a rep from Marineland this morning & that's what he told me.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:30 pm

The Emperor and Aqua-Clear filters are power filters and are meant to work on a tank that's nearly full of water. If they're running in the tank and the water drops too low, the motor is likely to burn out.

The Fluval Plus series (1+ - 4+) is advertised as being good for turtle tanks. I have a 2+, and it's good for only small tanks. I have the 4+ as well (in a 40-gallon), and do not find it particularly effective. If you have a larger tank (40 gallons+), go with a canister filter.
RES
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:33 pm

Which canister filters would you recommend? I've considered buying a 2nd submersible filter to work with my Fluval 4 Plus. Any opinions?? I'm very OPEN for them. :D
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:17 pm

In your other post you said you have a 75-gallon tank filled half way up, right?

Money is no object? I've read nothing but good things about the Ehiem Pro Series, specifically the 2028.

The best canister for the money? Filstar XP3 ( www.bigalsonline.com ). I have one as well. I've used it on a 40-gallon, 50-gallon and currently a 110-gallon tank. It does a good job and will work most effectively if the canister is 24 inches below the water level. Get one and you can fill that tank up--your turtle will thank you and your life will be easier. :P
RES
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:59 pm

Yeah, at this point, money isn't an object. I will say that I've never had a pet that cost so much money to keep. :) But I do love my little guy so only the best for him. Thanks!!!!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:15 pm

No problem. :)
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:01 pm

about the aquaclear filter u just need to put water in it to priime it but they can work with a tank only 1/3 fill with water(but i don't recommend it) that's what i use and my tank is just half full right now and everything work great... but i think they good with 50G tank or less...bigger then that i will go with what Mariza recommend..
my point with that is the aquaclear filter could be a cheap alternative(the 300 is only 60$canadian and go often half price) for those who have small fishtank and will need to upgrade later...
EarthVsJazz

Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:31 am

Ok so a couple of months ago this guy posted this site. www.thatpetplace.com. Check out the Fluval prices. I got the 404 dirt cheap. It's $179 at petsmart in PSL. Who ever that guy was (And I did thank him in an e-mail). Saved me a lot of money.

- Ed
Kitty
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:35 am

Please every one be very carefull, as to the size of your turtle and the filter you get, some of the submergable filters intakes are very dangerous to babies, such as a power head. the turtles some times stand on the filter and there toes can get stuck in the little slots in the intake, the more they pull the more they swell up and can't get free, I had this happen, we were very lucky his little nose just barley reached the surface, he was streached out as far as he could, and his leg was so swollen it was at least 4 times bigger. I only use back filters for my babies, and yes they can be hard to prime...But try extending your intake tube, even just an inch can help. but better yet if you can get a turtle tank, one side of the tank is lower just for the filter. If you have a baby turtle, take a pice of netting and wrap the intake, you can use a rubber band to hold it in place. better safe than sorry.....as for the big filters, depending on what you want to spend, so far all of the above filters that have been mentioned in the preivous posts are good. I have had fish tanks and turtle tanks all my life, so I have used pretty close to all the different filters..lol If you want a clean tank or at least a cleaner tank.lol the more times your filter can turn over the water in your tank, the cleaner it should be. Say you have a 10 gallon tank and your filter is rated for a 50 gallon tank, then your tanks water should be filtered 5 times in a hour. but then your filter is only as good as you keep it....Don't forget to rinse out your filter pads, but don't rinse out your bio wheels...EVER....thats part of your tanks cycle. Sorry for the long post but filters play a big part in your turtles health. and there are so many to choose from. good luck
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:11 am

I put a power head in my 29 gallon tank, I did do some modifications so that my turtles and fish won't get sucked in:

I hope that helps with the "getting sucked in" problem. :D
Kitty
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:33 pm

Thanks that looks well thought out.. and alot of work, I'm glad I'm not the only one to go the extra mile for there turtles, It's great to see the different Idea's and moterfactions people make. I'm sure glad I found this board...I was starting to think, that people don't think for them selfs any more, no imagination.. Are you using it for a filter as well or just circulation? mine have a red/green switch to change the water flow, right there is a little hole, and that is where the baby got it's foot stuck. Power heads are great they can be used for so many things. undergravel filters, waterfalls, circulation, They sell a "quick filter" that attaches to the bottom and turns it into a filter...it's way cool...and power heads come in several different sizes too... So do I sound like a sells rep...LOL For circulation , waterfalls, ect. I like to use the "Rio" guess I just have had them for so long and havn't had to replace any...( Yet ) knock on wood...LOL I'm sure there are stronger and better submergables by now. Thanks for showing us a safer filter..
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:57 pm

I use the power head for circulation, it was originally used for a water fountain, I thought of using it for circulation after I did my upgrade because I tried it in the ten gallon tank but it was too much power, it kept the water moving too fast, so I took it out, but it works great, and both my fish and my turtles like swimming against the current that it creates, plus, it moves the water around so that the filter works alot better than what it would without the circulation. :D :D
  • Information