how do I get rid of algae?

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
Posada
Level 2
Level 2

Mon May 16, 2005 10:30 am

My turtle dock is growing algae on it and the rocks are growing algae too. I tried to scrub it out and it wouldnt all come off. How do I get it off?
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Mon May 16, 2005 3:15 pm

i sometimes soak my rocks and stuff in a very dilute bleach solution. I then scrub off any algae/dirt with an old tooth brush. I rinse the washed rock in clean water and let it soak in the clean water to make sure the bleach is gone. It seems to get rid of algae, but you have to make sure that you rinse everything well with water. You don't want to introduce bleach to your turtle tank.
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Sun May 22, 2005 7:30 pm

I have a problem with this too!! I tried the whole bleach thing. Let it soak for a few hours, changed to a new bucket and let it soak again with clean hot water and added some chlorine out (the stuff you put in the water for fish tanks) and it did nothing.. well, I should say... it was gone for a few weeks (two tops) and now it is back like crazy. :roll: Any other ideas?!!?!? It drives me NUTS and gets my pump full of JUNK!
kelleytidwell
Level 3
Level 3

Sun May 22, 2005 7:34 pm

I've had fish tanks before, and the only thing I ever found was alge eatters, but you'll still have to keep it clean like the 2 sided magnete cleaner and a vacume. You still got a clean can't beat the stuff.

I know putting stuff in the water is not the answer but there are alge eatters.

I know my tank I clean it 1 x per week and scrubb everything. That's my Sunday ritual for the past month or so.

Alge grows most in the summer time, so depending on how close your light is to natural light that can make it grow.
Posada
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:46 am

Is there anything I can put in the tank that will help control the amount of algae. I think if i got an algae eater that my turtle would eat it. I just cleaned the tank and scrubed everything, not even 4 days later its covered in algae everywhere.
poppyduce
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:26 pm

Check your water temp as well. The warmer the water the faster the algae grows. In my tank the turtles are about 3 1/2 in diameter, so I got algae eaters that were way bigger. I have a 6 inch pleclostomos, and a couple bottom feeding catfish that are about 4 inches long. Since the fish are all huge the turtles don't even think about bothering them. Not too mention the catfish which are scavengers, seem to love the turtles being so dirty, and they really help to clean up the tank. And I figure with summer on its way, I have to clean my fish tank more often, so I'll probably have to clean the turtle tank more often too.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:50 pm

They also make some algae tablets that are supposed to get rid of the algae :D
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:38 pm

i found this stuff "TurtleClean" at Petsmart. It suposedly helps break down any wastes in the water and helps control algae. It was like $8 for a big bottle. It might help
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:42 pm

I was talking to someone about the turtleclean (I have something similiar) and they said to use it sparingly and not with every tank cleaning because it could break down the shell
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:19 pm

i was gonna post this same question but i searched instead

anyone found a reasonable solution?
im thinking of picking up a algae eater
deemom
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:33 am

I also need help w/ algae. We've had the turtles (2)only since last July, but they've grown so big. They're about 2" and in a 20 gal tank. We are getting algae for the first time! :( Has neone ever had their turtles attack the "algae eaters"? How sturdy are they? I don't have much luck w/ fish, but turtles have been great. Do a lot of ppl use those fish for algae control? Wonder what the consensus is about algae control. Bleach, additives, algae eating fish, anything else? I just don't want to harm my turtles, but want tank clean. For now, if I don't get any other advice....will go w/ very diluted bleach water. I've used that once before w/ their little "beginner turtle habitat". But I rinsed everthing out VERY thoroughly!!!
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:47 pm

what i have been doing is scrubbing the dock with a toothbrush and then putting it out in the backyard in the sun for a few hours. it's probably not the best solution but it's the best one i have so far
  • Information