Bubble on top of water....

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Thu May 05, 2005 12:31 am

Not sure where to post this question, so I picked this one because it has to do with the tank.....

Does anyone else's tank get full of bubbles on top of the water? If so what causes that? I don't really like it, but I will have to live with it if there isn't anything I can do about it.

Thanks,
Nick
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu May 05, 2005 10:03 am

I have the same thing, I think it probably has something to do with the filter, but I have not been able to get rid of them, so I gave up, the way I figure it, it is just one more thing the turtles can hide under :lol: , besides I don't think the bubbles will hurt anything by being there. :D
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Thu May 05, 2005 11:30 am

I don't know if this applies here, but when we had our hot tub, bubbles would sit on top of the water when the water was dirty. It was from oil from people's skin and stuff. Maybe the bubbles indicate the water isn't completely clean. I have the same thing, they're hard to get rid of.

There might be chemicals at the pet store you can use, but they are usually directed for fish containing aquariums. You'll have to make sure that they are turtle safe.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu May 05, 2005 12:08 pm

I doubt that the turtle tank will ever be completely spotless, oils from the turtle and fish (if you have any) will mix with the water and cause them pretty much immediately, I know that I change the water in my tank and within an hour I can see the bubbles again.**sigh**
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Thu May 05, 2005 12:55 pm

Dissolved organic matter (oils from turtles / fish) can cause bubbles like you've described. I've never had an ongoing problem with them, but my filter doesn't exactly produce a whole lot of surface disruption. The surface agitation is what helps the bubbles form. The only way to readily get rid of them would be to reduce the disruption caused by your filter outflow (or the current being generated by an airstone) and possibly perform more frequent partial water changes. You'll never get rid of the dissolved organic matter, you can only do your best to reduce the amount in your water.

I wouldn't recommend any chemical treatment. In fact, I'm not sure that one even exists, but I wouldn't swear to it.
  • Information