i need ideas for a tank, please

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:50 pm

okay... here's the deal. i have all the basics that you need for the turtle. the water heater, ramp for them to sunbathe, water filter, uvb light.. all that mess.

but the tank looks boring... and i know if i'm bored looking at it, my turtle must be bored living in it. so.. i need ideas please :)

are there any websites where you can buy things to put in the turtle tank? i live in an extremely small town.. with one pet store, that sells a 'turtle ro ck' (i found one just like it in my backyard.. :x ) for about $35.. and i'm not joking..

so if anyone knew a good website, i'd be really happy. also, if anyone knew a site that's fair on their prices, or cheap.. because .. i'm a college student.. saving up for my wedding.. but.. i keep.. spending it on the turtle.... LOL! (guess we know who's more important.. :mrgreen: eheh kidding..)

anywho, here's part of the tank so far:

(i'm sorry that i keep posting pictures, i'm just so happy about my little turtle! i think he's the cutest thing in the world)[/img][/i]
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:41 pm

It looks good to me as it is, where is the turtle in the tank picture, I can't see it. :o
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Sun May 01, 2005 2:10 am

Depending on the size of your turtles, you can probably add some water to the tank. They like to swim.

I too think that you r tank looks fine, but I bought some plants that I just let float on the surface of the water. It gives the turtles a placed to hide and they can hang on when they come up for air.

I didn't really mean for the plants to just float. They were in the bottom of the tank, but the turtles decided to redecorate.

Ebay is a good place to get plastic plants. They can be expensive at like $3/$4 each. I have seen some auctions where you can get 18 plants for like $0.99. Its a steal.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon May 02, 2005 1:06 pm

it's nice i thought i would see a blank setup when i first read ur post :) maybe u can "build" a cave, ur turtle will enjoy hiding in there (but make sure it can get out easily so it doesn't drown)..fake plants will do too..maybe a bubble maker if ur filter doesn't already produce them..

but it's great like that :)
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Wed May 04, 2005 7:29 pm

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:It looks good to me as it is, where is the turtle in the tank picture, I can't see it. :o
thank you. :D if you look very closely towards the big blur, right above it, there's a tiny turtle head :)
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Wed May 04, 2005 7:43 pm

toxiceagle2007 wrote:Depending on the size of your turtles, you can probably add some water to the tank. They like to swim.

I too think that you r tank looks fine, but I bought some plants that I just let float on the surface of the water. It gives the turtles a placed to hide and they can hang on when they come up for air.

I didn't really mean for the plants to just float. They were in the bottom of the tank, but the turtles decided to redecorate.

Ebay is a good place to get plastic plants. They can be expensive at like $3/$4 each. I have seen some auctions where you can get 18 plants for like $0.99. Its a steal.
well.. i was going to take your advice and buy some plants for my tank, i thought ti would make it look really cool.. however the little cooters i just got seem to want to eat them..

i was sitting there on the phone with my sister.. and one of the cooters (pox) decided to try and eat a patch of plastic grass.. so i took it out. :(

would they eat wood? if i put a branch in there.. do you think it'd be safe? lol
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Wed May 04, 2005 7:46 pm

dixieee wrote:it's nice i thought i would see a blank setup when i first read ur post :) maybe u can "build" a cave, ur turtle will enjoy hiding in there (but make sure it can get out easily so it doesn't drown)..fake plants will do too..maybe a bubble maker if ur filter doesn't already produce them..

thank you :) i tried to replicate the turtle's natural environment as best as i could.. however, i had to take the plastic grass out now.. since my cooter wanted to eat it.. :(

humm.. thank you! i'm going to make them a cave and find a bubbler from one of my old fish tanks :D that's a good idea!
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Wed May 04, 2005 10:33 pm

Thats no fun. My turtles tend to not eat the fake plants, the snails however are a different story. Good luck finding something to decorate with. We should start a turtle tank trading spaces!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu May 05, 2005 10:08 am

I used to love that show, until they did away with the host, it just seems kinda bland now, I used to love the reveal, especially when they made someone cry :lol: :lol:
VersteckterGeist
PostPosted: 04 May 2005 17:29 Post subject:
STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
It looks good to me as it is, where is the turtle in the tank picture, I can't see it. Surprised
thank you. Very Happy if you look very closely towards the big blur, right above it, there's a tiny turtle head
Thanks, I finally saw the turtle, I thought it was a bubble at first :lol: :lol: :lol: :o :o
Posada
Level 2
Level 2

Thu May 05, 2005 12:48 pm

dixieee wrote:it's nice i thought i would see a blank setup when i first read ur post :) maybe u can "build" a cave, ur turtle will enjoy hiding in there (but make sure it can get out easily so it doesn't drown)..fake plants will do too..maybe a bubble maker if ur filter doesn't already produce them..

My filter makes small bubbles as the water falls back in. My lil girl was playing in them for hours biting at them and swimming through them.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu May 05, 2005 6:55 pm

yeah that's normal my little guy eats bubbles but he prefers to "cook" them by himself..it even makes him more stupid :o but cuter (i have to admit) :D

VersteckterGeist, i saw the head it's so cute :)
J double R
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:26 pm

My wife and i got REAL plants for our tank, and our turtle LOVES em! we have some that are on the botton, and some that float on the top. They are good hiding places, and they are safe to eat:) so if they do get a lil curious, its safe. check at the pet store and see what they have for live plants, or maybe even order some off the petco website? but have fun with it! i'll hafta put pictures up of my tank, its a 29 gallon, and it used to be a fish tank, so we added a plexy glass divider and filled one side with gravel, so its like a beach kinda...i looks a lot better than the ugly oscar:P wish ya luck and hopefully my ideas helped.
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:28 pm

id say put some more water and add some plants
  • Information