General Tank Setup Question

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:18 am

I am kind of a newbie at this turtle thing. I owned one when I was little and I now have two.

I have one hatchling RES and one 4" Paint.

For the hatchling, I read somewhere to only put about 3" of water in it's tank. Is that right? And what can I do to get the little guy to bask? All he does it sit in the water in the corner. I know hatchlings shell's are supposed to be a little soft, but I am worried about his. It seems pretty soft to me....

Also, what is the best temp to try to keep the tank water temps at?

Thanks,
Nick
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:16 am

Hello... a hatchling needs shallow water to prevent it from drowning, which can happen if the water is too deep and it becomes exhausted. Your hatchling will need to build up its strength and swimming skills before giving it a deeper area to swim.

How hard is it to get up on the basking spot? Again, your hatchling isn't all that strong and will need a basking spot that he can easily climb up onto.

I'm not sure about an exact temperature to keep the water, but you don't want it to be too warm, otherwise your turtles won't come up out of the it to bask. I keep my water pretty much at 70*F, although some days it's a little warmer and some days it's a little cooler, depending on the weather.
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:37 am

I have a small ZooMed turtle dock in the there for him. So 3" is enough?
Should I add anymore like 6" to help stregthen himself?

I've read thet you should have the water around 75 degrees.... I take it that is wrong?

Thanks,
Nick
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:02 pm

75 to 80 is ideal for thier comfort, I am sure some can take cooler temps, but 75 to 80 is recommended, any colder and they may start to hibernate, any hotter and they start to shed too much, which is not good, it can result in shell problems.
  • Information