SLIME!!!

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
Eric V

For Christmas my kids got the ZooMed 40 gallon turtle setup and 2 infant turtles. After setup all was good for about a month. It came with the Zoo Med 30 filter which should work with only 20 gallons of water in the tank. For the past few months there has been a massive buildup of snot looking slime that runs through the filter and all the hoses and comes out the return tube. We do half changes every 2 weeks and a full change once a month including cleaning the entire filter but it keeps coming back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thistle
Level 1
Level 1

I believe the slime is probably blue-green algae, or something similar. Usuallly, algae means that there is an imbalance in the aquarium. First, if you have any extra lights lighting up the tank, turn those off sooner than you normally would (not the basking lights.) If that isn't the problem, it is probably the waste in the tank. 50% biweekly water changes are usually okay, but I think the filter is too small, which is annoying, since it came with a kit. Usually turtle websites say that it is best to have a filter that handles as least double what your actual gallons of water are. Considering you have two turtles, you may need more than that. I suggest upgrading the filter (aquaclear and cascade are good brands), feeding them outside the tank in a tub (less messy) and doing water changes once a week. Hopefully this was useful! Oh, and if you still have algae issues, you can use algaefix to chemically get rid of it. I have heard that it killed people's fish when they used too much so underdose and be careful!
  • Information