Male Eastern Box Turtle biting female?

Ask questions about your turtles behavior here. (Fighting, strange things, etc.)
Misaki

So theres more to this story then just the title, so here it goes. There is a male turtle (lets call him bob) and a female I named bubba where I work. So I was bringing them out food one day (just some lettuce and fruits and veggies) and put them both at the plate. I think this is where I screwed up. The male started trying to intimidate the female and she was scared (going inside of her shell, backing up a little bit but she wanted the food too). So I put the male a bit away and gave him his own plate. Well, he tried to go to her plate and bite her again, so I again moved him away, farther this time. This went on for a couple more times, until I found them mating. Now I was thinking oh maybe the intimidation thing was apart of their mating dance, but im not sure. They are mating an AWFUL lot and the female doesn't seem to be happy. I know turtles don't enjoy that like humans do, but you can tell she was very unhappy. I have seen them doing this often, and I think they are the only two in that area but in the whole courtyard (when they built the building they trapped the turtles in apparently) there is four/5 turtles, but these ones stick close to the same area. Is there anything I should do? Can I take the female or male home and try to find it a home? I know it may stress it out but I feel like if he is really being mean to her I should do something about this. If you think I am overreacting just say, I really like turtles so I rather overreact then under. Thanks a million guys, and if you have questions let me know!
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,
Although it is unfortunate for those trapped turtles, you work in a lucky environment! I would kill to work in a place with a courtyard where box turtles roaming around!
I think it is a typical box turtle behavior. They are known to be very active when it comes to mating.
Box turtles are said to have very strong homing instinct so relocating the female might not be the best idea.
In the courtyard, is there anyway to create more spaces they can live comfortably?
I think once one of them find another area to hangout they may be able to keep distance instead of sticking around in the same area.
  • Information