My yellow slider is not acting right

Ask questions about your turtles behavior here. (Fighting, strange things, etc.)
turtles20

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:29 am

I need help! My yellow slider is about 9 years old and I have had her for about 8 years. As of last Saturday I noticed she was not eating and acting acting strange. Monday is when I really saw something was wrong. She still would not eat and was swimming crazy against the glass. I cleaned out her tank and nothing changed. Tuesday I bought a water heater to go in the water because the guy at the place I bought her from said she might be going into hibernation. By Wednesday I knew something more was going on so I took her to an exotic vet. The vet took an X-ray and she said it was possibly an infection. Started her on antibiotics. I know it’s only been a day on the medicine but every night she just seems to be worse. Last night and tonight she is trying to escape her tank from the top. Please help!!!!
Chopsley
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:18 am

First find a vet a "Herp Vet" that actually treats turtles , aquatic turtles , not a dog cat vet or even a exotic vet that never seen turtles before ! Also turtles do "not" hibernate they "brumate" (slow down) ! Also ask what kind of x ray machine they have. Too many still use an old film type which does not show soft tissue well. Also how well he/she can reads x rays matter's to . A newer digital type shows soft tissue very good and almost anyone can read them , so simple. Sounds like she's holding eggs , bet you see the eggs in a digital x ray or check yourself for eggs ! See below on how to .

When she is acting the craziest to escape take her outside to a garden ( mud area) for 15 minutes and watch her well. If ground in an area is hard mud loosen it up some so she can dig easier. They are very picky on what spot to use. Turtle can be fast watch well ! Yes winter and hope ground is not frozen or make a nesting box. Google for type of soil to use , most manmade nesting boxes turtle wont use , as I sad very picky but may help some. She may start to dig and lay her eggs. If not watch her tank , may expel eggs in the water . You may not see an egg at first because she will eat them , observe well. If never dated a male she will still produce eggs just not fertile. What's her normal schedule on eggs ? Some can start egg production as early as 4 years and other's years later. And depending on DNA a few may never produce eggs. Females stop eating when the eggs are getting larger to make room for them. Sorry but an x ray will never show an infection , he/she just making things up to sound like he/she knows. Find another vet , a Herp Vet / turtle vet and one that actually treats turtles , aquatic turtles !!!

I would not get any more antibiotics for ??? infection ??? "only " a blood test can show that , please ! Chances are she has eggs in her and "must" expel them or you will have big trouble ! Antibiotics have lots of side effects in turtles and should "only" be taken when truly needed !!! A blood test tells that not an x ray !
If he/she never gave a shot to a turtle can cause severe problems / cripple a turtle. A Herp Vet / turtle vet knows how and exact dosage too if needed. No antibiotics until a blood test and if with eggs and Herp Vet may give a vitamin shot which would be OK since egg production runs a turtle system down.

Observe well for this living pet/friend/child in your care. Yes I'm just an retired old man in my eighties but Have a back ground of 6 decades with turtles.

Do you know how to check for eggs yourself ?
Here's something to watch : https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ho ... ORM=VRDGAR
You can google for many other video's or info too.
Like : http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatrepti ... k_hTG5Fx9B
Another good read is : https://backwaterreptilesblog.com/what- ... brumation/
turtles20

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:48 pm

Thank you for your input and help. I already checked for eggs before I took her to the vet and she doesn’t have any. Today she is doing much better! She finally ate and seems to be much more relaxed. She also basked for a couple hours. We will see how she does tonight.. fingers crossed.
  • Information