Hibernation

Ask questions about your turtles behavior here. (Fighting, strange things, etc.)
Tyandsassy

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:18 pm

My baby sassy died this week I think she chocked on something. And now Ty the older one is acting funny for a few days he makes meowing sounds and now I think he's trying to hibernate but i'm not sure .Is there a way of telling and if he is how do you take care of a hibernating RES. :?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:54 am

so sorry for ur loss :( how old is he approx.? what are the temps in there? if it's too cold he will try to hibernate. he might be acting weird bcz he lost his tank mate. are there any illness signs?

welcome to the board btw :) keep us posted
Tyandsassy

Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:36 am

the temp is warm over 80 , he is 13 1/2 months old , hes just lying on the rock and not moving he had tried to burry under the water in the rocks . I know he's not dead because rigamortis (spelling bad) has not set in and it would have by now.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:37 am

were they getting along fine? i don't know if it could be that the little guy is depressed now. if nothing's wrong with his health then maybe he needs a little change. redecorating the tank for example or getting him some fish he can follow around
deesygirl

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:42 am

He sounds ill. They will not try to hibernate when the temps are that warm. Does he eat? Swim? What is the basking temp?
Inkedmawmaw

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:01 pm

Can someone help me? I dont know how to start my own post so sorry for just barging in on yours. My red eared slider is under a year old and this is my first winter with him. Up until now hes been fine but for the last two weeks now he hasnt eaten and he will NOT open his eyes. I keep changing his water to try and make it better but it tests ok. The temp is the same as always 78°-80° But he just floats there all comatose like. I dont even see him basking anymore. Is my baby Franklin dying?
Chopsley
Level 1
Level 1

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:50 am

See topic category , look two inches above it " New Post" click that for your own post. You tagged another's post on hibernation which is another issue. Turtles actually "Brumate " and beginners in most cases can not offer in a manmade tank /pond what "Nature" offers to do it safely. Experienced long time keepers can . My 57 years in this hobby I do not allow "Brumation" I keep my captive turtles active indoors year round since I'm now a very old man in my eighties .

Under [ turtle behavior ] good , just needs you own post ( new topic ) for more help/input from others on your issue.

Winter most captive turtles slow down they feel the seasons change better/more than we do. Also still being new needs time to adjust to new home so it does turtle things like "basking". Some take a lot longer than others , having a proper habitat goes a long way. Also turtles hide problems well even to a Herp Vet and show some problems very slowly , may be something that has been coming on slowly and you just noticed it.

Hope you read more than a basic care sheet. Habitats set up wrong is one of the main causes for problems.

You have a baby and needs a water heater for consistent water temps , when Heat/basking light is off at night so it can sleep. Set at 80* and an accurate way to read the temp. A UVA "and " a UVB light a must and both over basking area ! Heat bulb is used to entice turtle to get under the UVB rays. It needs to be ten degrees above water temp so 90* for basking area ! Wrong lighting setup wrong can burn a turtles eyes. Not all "reptile bulbs" are adequate or safe for "all" turtles.

Need more info on it's setup. The closed eyes concern me. Which eye lid is closed on each side? Turtles have three eye lids ! Upper /lower and nictitating membrane . What are you using to test water and testing what ? What is your lighting placement / distance ? Myself I'm an old timer and in my 57th year turtle keeping , never used chemicals !!! Ever read "MSDS" . Out the tap what are you starting out with so you know what you need to do ? Test strips are very inaccurate use a drop kit to test. If in US by law water company's must offer a water quality report what does yours say ? Some company's change from chromium in summer to chlorine in winter.

Must get creative for Franklin to eat , try live food like worms !!! Even if you have to hold it against his nose to smell it !
  • Information