Can you train your turtle to stop biting your finger?

Ask questions about your turtles behavior here. (Fighting, strange things, etc.)
SkeetSkeetPinoy
Level 1
Level 1

Can you train your turtle to stop biting your finger?

Post by SkeetSkeetPinoy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:28 pm

Yea my turtle is always biting. Even when I put my hand in the tank to move the filter or something he swims to my hand to bite my finger. Can I stop that behaviour or wusup?

contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Post by contact444 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:50 pm

Probably one of four things are happening. By sticking your hand in the tank you are either intruding in his space or scaring him or it's possible he thinks that since you feed him and your hand is in the tank -Food! Or it may just be that being a turtle he is very curious to see how you taste.

I would suggest trying to handle your turtle little by little, when you get the turtle to where it's not freaking out. Also remember it's alot harder for them to bite something that is behind and above their head then in front of it. Most likely he will warm up to you or at least tolerate you in his environment.

Mine are very friendly and as with people some turtles just aren't exactly welcoming to being tamed- from your post you may have the second, so be patient. Real patient, and good luck.

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:29 am

my turtles do the same but i know they mean no harm. i hand-feed them so they relate my fingers to food. if ur turtle hisses at u, it's scared and that's why it's biting. if it's used to u then it thinks u're food :)

SkeetSkeetPinoy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SkeetSkeetPinoy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:16 am

ohh .. haha maybe it jus thinks im food cuz I handfeed mine occasionally too. It doesnt hurt really but I figured itd be a problem when he gets bigger (which will take many years, but yea)

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:39 am

it'll hurt by then but it's ok u'll get used to it and as long as they're not snappers, there's nothing much to worry about :)

VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VersteckterGeist » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:02 pm

lol i don't think that's possible..

my sis and i found a turtle alongside the road once. we took him in because a high way isn't any place for a turtle.

well he was in the fenced in area of my backyard and found his way into the swimming pool (underground swimming pool.. easy to get in and out).

i thought he was walking around the backyard like usual, doing his daily marches.. so i went swimming. well i went to the deep end.. and noticed something moving under water.. curious as to waht it could be.. i dove under to get it.. mr. kane as he'd been lovingly called, started swimming full speed towards me... it was worse then jurassic park lol.

he was trying to eat my hair.. i have really really long hair, i think he mistook it for weeds or something..

needless to say mr. kane was safely and skillfully removed and banned from the pool permanently after that little adventure.

turtles.. just love to bite >__<

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:06 am

VersteckterGeist wrote: it was worse then jurassic park lol.
:lol: :lol: what happened to him now??

lady_in_red1987

Post by lady_in_red1987 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:46 pm

I handfeed my turtles too, and they bite me a few times thinking my finger is the food. But i don't really care, they don't hurt me.

Robin_Luver13

Post by Robin_Luver13 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:59 pm

how long have you had your turtle??? he'll warm up to you eventually..... maybe if you got him at a store or kiosk or something they treated him badly and so hes naturally aggresive toward humans.... just give him time and be kind and patient with him....