MY TURTLE ISN\'T EATING

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
newguy15

Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:09 pm

HELP ME PLEASE...............................
My name is joe and my new baby painter turtle hasn\'t eaten for a week... i tried Reptomin, i have tried frozen brine shrimp, nothing has worked. i watched him yesterday and a pellet was in front of his mouth but he didn\'t eat it!! im really worried. my sister has a turtle that eats every day.same age and all...someone help..
SuperMario86

Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:07 pm

How many turtles do u have? I have two red eared sliders in mine and both of them arent eating during the beginning of winter they will tend to refuse to eat because they want to hibernate. Hibernating is a good thing it keeps the turtle healthy and lives longer.

Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:42 pm

Its okay my baby didn\'t eat for along time but during the night the eat a little bit. The new babys people get dont eat for a while thier owner is watching them. The turtle will eat when its hungry enough. Don\'t worry I have 20 babys. I know!!!!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:01 pm

Okay relax your lil turtle is okay she is geting used to her surroundings and if she is really young she will stll be feeding off her yolk sac.gl
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:27 pm

First, what temp is the water? If it is too cold they wont eat. The water temp should be 78-82. The basking area should be about 10 degrees warmer. Don\'t feed frozen to the turtle. I forget the reason. If this continues you need to find smelly foods. They do have a spray that you can put on the food. Some suggest as a temp. alternative, until it begins eating, using cat food. It does take them a bit to adjust though to the new enviroment. Dont stress yet, they can go without food for a bit and are ok. It is better, from what I understand, not to hibernate babies. Be sure you have the proper set-up with the correct heating and lighting.
  • Information