breeding feeder fish

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
hoover05

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:08 pm

hi, I'm not sure if this should go in this section or not but anyway...

I bought 20 feeder fish for my turtle, fed her 3, and now have 17 feeder fish that I would like to breed...

I was wondering what I should do to breed them? Does anybody know?

Also, what do I feed them? (we didn't think to get regular fish food)

Thanks! :roll:
deesygirl

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

It depends on the breed of fish that you got. Some are picky as to temps, p.h. and such in the tanks and others just breed. Also you will need to go pick up some fish food. There again it depends on the breed but you can weigh down a piece of cucumber or squash, I tie mine to a decorative rock from the tank. Some fish like to graze on those. This will hold them over for a day or two until you can get the proper food for them.
hoover05

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:41 am

Thanks for your reply... I didn't realize breeding them would be so complicated haha. I would take a pic of them to see if any of you's know the breed, but now that I go look at them this morning... only like 3 of them are still alive. ugh! That was a waist of about $2.50 lol... it says 24 hour health guarantee, maybe I should take them back and get new ones :lol:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:12 pm

ate 17? wow that's a lot, be careful
deesygirl

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:14 pm

I think 14 died and only 3 are left and the turtle ate three. At least that is what it sounds like to me. :)

Did you flaot the fish when you brought them home? Also what type of tank did you put them in. I raised fish for many years. I still have two tanks and the setup is important. I recommend you let the filters run for no less than 4 days before introducing fish. Also when you buy them make sure none of them in the tank look ill. Check that they are all swimming normally and also look for small white puffs attached to the fish this is called "ick" and it looks like small cotton balls. It is hard to get rid of many fish die from it and it will contaminate your tank.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:12 am

I still have my big guppies, the little rosey red minnows are down to two from about 5, I have about 5 big guppies and they are very sturdy, about the biggest problem that I concern myself with is the chlorine in the water and water temp., other than that, they are very happy with the turtle habitat, I think that the turtles and the big guppies have reached a "live and let live" agreement, :lol: the smaller fish, on the other hand, were not as lucky :?
turtleman1

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:25 am

woooooo go rosey reds even though i dont buy em any more i catch my own and feed to my turtle
hoover05

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:21 pm

Sorry I didn't answer right away, I forgot that I wrote this...

No dixieee, my turt didn't eat them all they were in a seperate container... Although if I gave them to her she probably would have the little piggy :lol:

I was keeping them in a tiny plastic tank next to my turtle's tank, probably only like 1-3 gallons not sure exactly because I can't remember how big it was. :roll:

I didn't buy a filter or anything for it because I didn't think they needed it since they were only breeder fish and only tiny tiny. Regular tap water too. I guess I should have researched it more but I had heard somewhere that they were easy to breed.

Yes, there were a bunch of dead ones in the tank but they probably had like wellllllll over 500 fishies and they had these "catcher" things that sucked the dead ones in, it was kind of gross but umm... Anyway, yeah, I think I'll just buy them at 10 for a $1 and feed them to my turt when she deserves a treat (which is always, actually, cause she's such a good turtle :lol:

Thanks!
  • Information