My Tortoise is Very Picky... any suggestions?

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
uyiepcwy

Hello fellow turtle lovers. :)

I recently acquired a Home's Hingeback tortoise whom I have named Milo and whom I cherish dearly. However, I have a problem-- Milo is an incredibly picky eater. I have tried a wide variety of various vegetables and fruits, such as melons, apples, pears, carrots, broccoli, and several different types of lettuce. I have also tried live crickets. But even when his veggies are cut into small pieces and when his crickets have been de-legged to make them easier to catch, he still snubs it all.

The only food that he does seem to like is red cabbages, which he devours insatiably whenever I give it to him. However, I am somewhat concerned over this because I am not sure of the nutritional value of red cabbage. Moreover, I know that it is highly dangerous to center one's diet around one vegetable, for many plant species are lacking in one or more essential amino acids (and maybe other nutrients).

So, if anyone has any suggestions as to what vegetables he might like, I'd greatly appreciate the help. I'm also not opposed to getting him some live food or artificial food... I'll get anything if he'll eat it! I love Milo and don't want to see him suffer any deficiency diseases and I certainly don't want him to die. :!:

P.S. I have also purchased ReptoCal, as recommended by the pet store guy. But, alas, he'll only eat it if it's on his beloved red cabbage.
Last edited by uyiepcwy on Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board :)

new turtles usually don't act so normal for the first couple of weeks cz of the environment change but he should be ok soon so don't worry. at least he's eating and u can take advantage of that by mixing the other veggies with the red cabbages. make something like a puree out of them and then gradually decrease the amount of cabbages u put into the mix. i don't know about its nutritional value though..

btw, hingeback tortoises have a unique shell. i just searched them up and it's the first time i see them :D
uyiepcwy

Oh, so this is normal? That's a relief. :) I'll try out your suggestion (mixing other vegetables with his beloved cabbage) and let you know how it works. Thanks for the help!

And yes, I think Milo's shell is very cool looking. It's what attracted me to him whilst I was browsing at the pet store.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah it should be normal as long as the environment is suitable for him (temps and lighting and everything..).

nice choice :P
uyiepcwy

Just to follow up, after mixing it with cabbage for a few days, Milo has finally begun to eat some other fruits and vegetables (namely cucumbers and carrots). Although he still favors his cabbage by far, I'm glad that he is beginning to vary his diet a little. I'm going to the organic grocery later so that he can have a more diverse selection.

Thanks again for the help, dixieee! :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u're most welcome, i'm so glad to know that :)
keep up with the recipe :wink:
  • Information