box turtles

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
Dvesqxtxk

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:47 pm

for an eastern box turtle what do u need to get with calcium and vitamin suppliments in it?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:32 pm

u're talking about the vitamin supplements they sell?
Dvesqxtxk

Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:43 pm

well i never really had a box turtle and bought things for them and i never looked when i went to the stores becasue i just got it like 6 days ago. but is it like in a powder form that u spread on their food or is it in a stick form. and i have seen like a gel food for land turtles but since mine was wild (and is eating good, on the first day i got him he ate and has been so hes fine) so i give him worms and strawberrys and w/e insects i find. but i know they need calcium and vitamins and now that i remembered the gel stuff which probably has calcium and vitamins would that be better than having wild foods and putting the supplements on them or just useing the gel?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:11 pm

they are recommended but not a must. how old is ur turtle? maybe if it's somehow big u can skip those supplements and t'll be getting enough from food and the UV bulbs.
Dvesqxtxk

Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:41 am

well hes wild so im not really sure on his age but hes 5 1/2 inches long and 2 inches high. not sure how wide but maybe 3 or 4". so i dont tink hes going to grow too much more. so do i need them?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:51 am

hmm i've never had a box turtle either and i can't tell u to buy them or not. and yeah i know that petshops and of no use and they might make u buy them just to sell.

i'm not sure, let's wait for someone to answer this
  • Information