Shrimp Pellets?

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
diordivasarah

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:39 pm

I keep my RES with a ACF. To feed my frog, I have to put in shrimp pellets. Almost everyday, my RES outbeats my frog to the shrimp pellets and eats the 4-5 I put in there ALONG with his 1 ReptoMin. I usually feed my frog when I see him sitting under the flap I put his food in, so he catches it when it hits his head, but then sometimes he will never stay long enough to let the food hit him and then causing my RES to eat his food. If I have successfully gotten my frogs 2-3 pellets in his mouth, I give my turtle 2 ReptoMins and a shrimp pellet..just cause he likes them.

My question is..is this ok that sometimes his diet includes more shrimp pellets than his own pellets? I dont want him to get obese.

I compared the nutrients and proteins and they have the same things just in different amounts.

Another thing is he seems to eat and eat...like he is still hungry. I never give him more than 2 ReptoMins..determined by how many shrimp pellets he eats..which is usually about 4.

Any suggestions, ideas, comments?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:16 am

most..no 98% of turtles are pigs :) they have nothing to do in their setup so they will keep eating as long as u offer food. maybe that's an instinct cz they do so in the wild in case they don't find food the next feeding time. i don't know how the shrimp pellets are but it's ok for turtles to eat shrimps. i would worry about the frog though, they might eat him :o
diordivasarah

Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:22 am

I dont worry for my frog..hes twice the size of my turtle. Sometimes he tries to eat my turtle instead, until he realizes he isnt food...lol
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:53 am

oh ok although many ppl say that frogs are toxic to turtles but i read a lot about keeping them together and the only concern was turning them into food :)
Robin_Luver13

Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:16 pm

i used to feed my turtle shrimp pellets.... but then my dog got the can... lol :lol: .... he now eats these freeze dried shrimp things.... my mom and i hand feed them to him.... i give them as a treat but when im at school my mom feeds him two along with more reptomin.... i tell her shes going to make him obese and that i already fed him, but she doesnt care.... says hes still hungry and he can eat more than i feed him :roll: ... go figure.... moms....
diordivasarah

Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:24 pm

My mom is the same way. She doesnt know much about him but she'll be like have you fed him? Is he still alive? Why is he swimming like that? IS HE GOING TO DROWN?!? lol

I feed him 1-2 reptomin along with the pellets (depending on how much shrimp pellets he consumes). I swear he could eat until he pops.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:32 am

lol yeah my mom does the same.

if ur mom insists on feeding the turtles then let her be the one who does and don't feed them :)
Robin_Luver13

Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:04 pm

but then i feel bad like im not responsible or something and it becomes more her pet...... i think ill make a schedule and have her check off what she feeds him and ill do the same......
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:22 am

well u're responsible in other things. i bet no one fights over cleaning their tank :wink:
  • Information