Feeding on Vacation

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
mejohnson

Hi, I am the owner of a new baby slider turtle, Esteban. I am going away for 5 days over Thanksgiving and I was wondering if there were any products I could use to feed Esteban while I was away. I know there are products for fish and slowly dispense food or allow the fish to eat when hungry. But, I have never owned a turtle before, so I am complete novice and don't know of a similar turtle product. Thanks very much.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yep there are automatic turtle feeders but if it's only a week he'll be ok if u over-feed him a couple of days b4 leaving and keep floating leaves in the tank :)

good luck and have a nice holiday
mejohnson

Thank you very much for getting back to me, I will overfeed him for a couple of days before leaving. What kind of leaves should I float in the tank? I know Iceburg lettuce is off limits, what do you suggest?

thanks again.
TallysMom
Level 2
Level 2

Romaine lettuce is good, and dandelion greens, if you have them where you are. Also, you could get a couple of little feeder fish for him to snack on -- and if he doesn't catch them he will enjoy trying.

How big is Esteban?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

like TallysMom said, enjoy ur thanksgiving and he'll be ok :)
mejohnson

Esteban is about 2 to 3 inches long. We bought him about 2 weeks ago from a man on Canal St. in NYC (not the most reputable people). Anyway, he seems to be in good health. I still need to take him to a vet, I am in the process of tracking a good one down. Thanks for all your advice. Have a good thanksgiving.
  • Information