they won't eat!!!!

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
razorbak
Level 1
Level 1

my turtles will not eat at all!!!!! i have crayfish in my tank, minows in my tank, plants, and earthworms in my tank. the water temp is 80-85 degrees, and my light gives 90 degrees so i know that its not the temp. its been a week and they have not eaten a thing. they don't even like going into the water. so seeing how they don't go into the water how would they ever eat? i take them and force them in the water all the time but they just climb right out all the time as well. please. these turtles are just giving me a headache! help?
contact444
Level 2
Level 2

I would think that they are just not used to their new surroundings. How big are they and how long have you had them?

If they are too little or are not used to it they might not be very good at hunting- try some smelly food that doesn't run away. As Dixie says tuna, tuna, tuna. :lol: What did they eat before you got them? If they're used to a certain type of food you should try that, maybe pellets?

As far as them basking alot they may be sick, this can also account for a loss of appetite- though I would think that it's more of the new surroundings. Do they act sick -coughing, sneezing, gasping, rubbing their nose, andy goopy eyes or nose?
razorbak
Level 1
Level 1

no. i know for sure that they are not sick. my turtles are adult sizes. i've had them for about a week and a half now and they just don't seem to like the food i feed. i've tried pellets. 3 different brands. which still doesn't attract them very well. when i got them the pet store guy was feeding them and i saw them eating just fine. but now they aren't. right now they are basking cuz they are right behind me. but yah. they are about 5 or 6 inches each. male and female. any sugguestions?
contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Keep offering the tuna, they are probably just shaken up from the move. Mine didn't eat for a while either. Keep in mind that reptiles can last alot longer without eating than we can. Dixie also suggested boiling some chicken and soaking that in the tuna water. Just make sure you don't use any spices.
razorbak
Level 1
Level 1

sounds good. i'll try that for now then. thanks!
  • Information