OUR RED EARED SLIDERS WONT EAT!!

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
teehee14

poor turtles, their names are fung pi mauro lorenzo and boba. they are babies and they just wont eat. weve had them for about a week now...we dont know what to do. What are we doing wrong? some people recommended giving them tuna but they wouldnt eat that either! :( the food is sinking to the rocks and dissolvign and getting all mushy and gross and moldy so we had to clean it out (eck) any suggestions??
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ur babies are scared that's why they won't act normal for the first couple of weeks. are they basking? they usually don't too so don't worry just give them some time and make them feel safe by playing with the, holding them, etc.. keep some floating leaves inside and turn off the lights in the room, they might nibble something

good luck and keep us posted :)
AdsBot [Google]

yeah i have the same prob as yours!
just got them and their babies stil.. 1 month old.
bask not too much. head out of water yes. swin look at my when im near then swim away. not luck getting them to eat much.

so you say to play with them eh? get then used to me? i thought that would get them scared of me more. hmm i'll try.

good luck with your turtles !! keep in touch i htink were on the same boat.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

they will be stressed the first time or two but they'll get used to it. they love to play. try tuna to get them eat. it has many successful stories
TallysMom
Level 2
Level 2

You can soak the turtle pellets in tuna water and that may help, too.

Really young turtles, true hatchlings, don't need to eat for a while because they are still living off the remains of the yolk in their egg. They will need to eat eventually, but these little creatures prioritize, and when they get to a new home, it's "safety first." They won't eat till they feel comfortable.

Good luck and enjoy your cute babies!
mejohnson

Esteban is about 5 weeks old now and I don't see him eating much. He nibbles on the tuna I put in, but nothing major. I know that he is anxious, he swims away from me when I get near the tank and spends most of the day underneath the tank heater. If I decide to play with him, what is the best way--take him out and let him crawl on my hands? on a paper towel? I would take him outside, but I live in NYC (it is cold, snowy, and, oh yeah, no green areas).

Also, when he does start eating is there a guide to portions? How much tuna should he get, etc... By my approximation he is maybe 1.5 inches long.

thanks so much.

PS. Thanksgiving feeding worked well, I think, but the water evaporated in his tank, it was down to about 1 inch when we got back--very scary. For christmas, I was going to fill the tank almost all the way up with just a little rock left dry for basking--does that sound okay?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes it'll be ok but check the temps cz the water shouldn't evaporate that fast. u can play with him that way and i say as long as he's eating tuna now (not in big amounts) it's ok don't limit it until he begins getting used on pellets. what u can do now is soak the pellets in tuna water.

good luck and keep us posted
  • Information