A few feeding question?

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Wed May 18, 2005 5:42 pm

Is it okay to feed the turtles fresh shrimp? They seem to love it and I get it really cheap.

Also, when do res start eating their veggies? My male starting eating some romaine lettuce, but the female doesn't.

One last question....

My turtles seem to be healthy, but I hardly ever seem them bask since they got their new tank. I used to see them bask before, but I don't anymore. They eat normally and their shells are nice and hard. Should I worry?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Wed May 18, 2005 6:44 pm

Once in a while as a treat wouldn't hurt. But if, since you say you can get them cheap, they start eating them all the time, it wouldn't be good--too much protein. Include the shrimp as part of a varied diet.

About how old are your turtles? My turtles started eating plant matter when they were only several months old--nibbling on red leaf and romaine lettuce as well as aquatic plants. Keep offering them. As they age, plant matter in their diet becomes more important.

How long have they been in their new tank. If the change has been recent, it just may take a little time. Have you changed their basking area? It often takes them a bit to accept changes in the tank as well. Could they still be basking, but when you're not there?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Wed May 18, 2005 6:57 pm

turtles do eat shrimps..i'm not sure if it's ok to feed them raw shrimps so why don't u at least boil it a bit to be on the safe side

for the veggies, they're like human children..they won't eat them when they're still young but will depend on them mostly in their diet when they grow up

maybe they still feel insecure in the new environment..they might also be basking when there's no one around..keep the lights on so if they bask at night they get something..and give them some time they'll be ok soon :)
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Wed May 18, 2005 8:33 pm

turtles do eat shrimps..i'm not sure if it's ok to feed them raw shrimps so why don't u at least boil it a bit to be on the safe side
they're peel and eat shrimp, so they are already cooked.
About how old are your turtles? My turtles started eating plant matter when they were only several months old--nibbling on red leaf and romaine lettuce as well as aquatic plants. Keep offering them. As they age, plant matter in their diet becomes more important.
They're a bit over a year old if I remember right.

I think that they should have been in their tank long enough to get used to it though. Its been almost a month. They might be basking while I'm not there, but when they were in their smaller tank, I used to see them bask all the time. I lowered the water temperature a bit to see if that'll get them to bask. It was consistantly at 80* F. I lowered it to about 76*F. They're basking temp is almost 90*F.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu May 19, 2005 6:47 am

maybe they are enjoying swimming in a large place :D they get bored after a while and bask again don't worry but if in case u noticed any soft shell or rotting problems, take them out of water for a couple of hours everyday so they bask by force..if everything's fine like u said then there's nothing to worry about bcz swimming is the good thing :)
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Fri May 20, 2005 7:34 am

They're early morning baskers. I can see their tank from my bed and their lights and bubble wall are on a timer. They bask at like 6 am. They've done it for the past two days. Probably because there isn't much noise to scare them that early in the morning.

Good tip on the bubble wall dixeee. They really like it. They figured out that they can breath the air that gets trapped under their turtle dock too. Its funny to watch.

Thanks!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri May 20, 2005 10:34 am

cool so the babies are fine and happy :D lol i'll have to consider getting one of those bubble now
  • Information