feeder fish

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
Jackietwo
Level 1
Level 1

Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:28 am

I have yet to try feeder fish. I have a 10 gallon with 2 res. How many do you buy? I have the tank half filled with water - Is that ok to put these fish into? Do they just swim around until they get eaten? I don't know if my daugther would appreciate that...
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:34 am

You would probably want to get the smallest feeder guppies available. I would only give your turtles a few since the fish are only a treat. And usually, if you get the fish small enough, you really don't see the turtle eat the fish. They just gulp it down whole. The fish can just swim around until they get eaten. Your turtles will like chasing them. Its fun to watch :P
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:45 am

btw, is it ok to use sea fish or it doesn't matter? we don't have rivers in here and nowadays i do a lot of fishing so i thought of giving some to my turtles
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:08 am

dixieee wrote:btw, is it ok to use sea fish or it doesn't matter? we don't have rivers in here and nowadays i do a lot of fishing so i thought of giving some to my turtles
By sea, do you mean ocean?

I dunno if it would harm the turtles, but I do know if you but a fish that lives in salt water in fresh water it will kill it rather quick. Its a complicated story involving sodium and other fecies you probably don't want to hear. So if you put a salt water fish in fresh water, you might introduce fish bi products in the water. It might contaminate the water.

Thats my opinion, plus it would cause the fish to suffer :roll:
  • Information