sea monkys.. a turtle buffet?

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:36 pm

okay, i have a serious question, and i would like a serious answer.

when i first found my baby RES, Dax, he was in my swimming pool.. which is 9 feet deep.. i felt compelled to take him in, and take care of him.

now he's become a regular member of the family. it's almost a month now since we've had him, and he's a hatchling. (i'll provide a picture below so you can see him.. he's sooo cute!)

anyway, when i first found him, he wouldn't eat. my sister and i tried everything. i spent hours dicing up tuna, figuring if i fed him something stinky.. it would attract him. well he ate the tuna sparingly, but nothing else. we bought him zoo-meds hatchling pellets, and he seemed not to know what to do with them.

so.... i talked to local farmers and people that i know come into contact with turtles alot.. and they said to feed him shrimp. i have no idea in hades how to get live shrimp... especially small shrimp, becuase the pet store has a limited selection of pet food..

anyway, someone told me to start feeding him sea monkys.. to grow them, and take a couple and put them in his tank to let him eat. their theory was since sea monkys are a type of brine shrimp, and RES eats shrimp.. it would work.

thankfully, Dax started eating his pellets.. however, i'm stuck with a gallon of sea monkys that my friend gave me...

my question, can Dax eat the sea monkys, and NOT get sick? i'm not going to put Dax in the tank wtih the sea monkys, since I find them to be dirty little.. things.. but maybe when i'm feeding him, put a sea monkey or two for a snack, in hopes it will give him a chance to stretch out his legs.

what do you think? opinions needed please ;)

and here's his majesty, Dax:

(note: he's a little bigger now, this is the first day i found him)[/img]
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:00 pm

According to this article, they are brine shrimp, so I guess the turtles will eat them.:
http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/seamonkey.html
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:37 am

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:According to this article, they are brine shrimp, so I guess the turtles will eat them.:
http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/seamonkey.html
i think my turtle will eat it, i was just wondering if it was healthy or not, because of all those damned chemicals you grow the sea monkeys with. i don't want the growth horomones for the sea monkeys affecting my turtle.. hmmm...

but thank you for the article! :)
deesygirl

Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:44 am

There should not be any real chemicals harmful to your turtle in the brine shrimp mix. Usually it is just a salt solution. I buy frozen shrip at the pet store for mine and they love them. I'm sure Dax will enjoy some for a snack as well.
mrshynd1214
Level 1
Level 1

Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:42 pm

I get freeze-dried shrimp in a container that looks just like one that holds turtle pellets. It's even on the same shelf in the store. My turtles just love them!! I get them at Petco or Petsmart, fairly cheap and they last a long time. Hope this makes finding shrimp easier. Freeze-dried is the way to go!
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

Sun May 08, 2005 10:36 am

or you could go to your supermarket and get a bunch of those little salad shrimp.
chevy_gurl0308
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:38 pm

:?: What are Sea Monkeys??? :?: Just Wonderin :D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:49 am

You can do an image search on google to see what they look like, in the search bar type "sea monkeys" or "brine shrimp" they are both the same creature. :D
  • Information