Different Kinds of Food

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
Metallica
Level 1
Level 1

Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:08 am

Just curious what other food you guys give your turtles. My RES wont touch Reptomin for the time being and really really likes shrimp, but it leaves her constipated. She is so picky now. Apple and some cantaloupe also worked but other foods such as blue berries, strawberries and even carrots she snubs. What other veggies can I try?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:10 pm

While it is young I wouldn\'t bother with veggies, they are mostly carnivorous when they are still young, I would guess that they will be considered young up until maybe 5 years old. Try soaking the reptomin in tuna juice (water not oil)for about 5 min. before spooning it out to feet the turtles, I can almost guarantee they will gobble it up.
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:29 pm

I\'ve fed my turtles a lot of different things over the years--crickets, house flies, guppies, freeze-dried tubifex worms, krill, Reptomin, Jurassi-diet, etc. I\'ve never had a problem with them being picky eaters. I\'ve been lucky in that sense, I suppose. Their main diet is Reptomin, though.
Metallica
Level 1
Level 1

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:36 pm

well my turtle is about 10 years old and it seems the older she gets the more picky she becomes lol
Thanks for the tuna water tip :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:38 am

Well, at 10 years old they will eat more veggies that the younger ones so offering more different kinds of veggies will probably help with the pickyness, see if you can get some Dandelions for it the leaves and the blossom are edible and have a very good source of calcium.
isabelle

Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:44 pm

hi! i hope someone looks here again and can answer me too! i have a food problem too here it is , i bought some nutrafin basix,floating turtle gammarus pellets and they don\'t seem to satisfy buddy\'s hunger, it seems the more i give the more he eats. they are manufactured by hagen .when we first got buddy 3 years ago we fed him wardley premium reptile sticks wich don\'t float and get mushie after a while,buddy seemed satisfied and full!!! should i keep an eye for what better food i should buy or its just buddy being a pig (i know his appetite has changed with his growth)but this is crazy . could it be that gammarus is more like a treat? and i will try to introduce veggies more may be he\'ll be satisfied this way. thank you and bye bye
poppyduce
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:07 pm

When I first got my turtles, they wouldn\'t touch Reptomin either. Guess I was as stubborn as they were and kept offering it, even though they didn\'t seem interested. Continued to feed them the brine shimp as well, and seemed like one day they discovered they liked the reptomin as well. Now they beg for it and love grabbing it out of my fingers. Also, one of them lives for bananas, and the other won\'t touch a banana. Keep on trying, though, and don\'t give up after just one or two feedings, though, give it some time, and don\'t over do it until you are sure they either like or dislike it.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:45 am

they will always keep begging and begging so u don\'t have to feed them everytime they do it..watch out so ur guy doesn\'t get overweight..one of my turtles just went on a 2nd diet yesterday
  • Information