Found a wild turtle & need help with feeding

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
lilh

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:35 am

Thanks
Last edited by lilh on Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:42 am

If it appears healthy, based on your past experiences with turtles, there should be no problem putting it back in the wild. The longer you keep it though, the harder the transition back into the wild will be for it.

If you want to keep it and can provide a good home for it, it is possible to take in a wild turtle as a pet. If I were you, I\'d figure out what kind it is for sure, though. I\'m not sure where you\'re from, but saying it might be from the bayou nearby opens up the possibility that it could even be a type of snapping turtle, which might be less than ideal if you have young children. You can feed it live worms, freeze dried blood worms, freeze dried tubifex worms, or a mix of the three until it adapts enough to eat turtle pellets.

There\'s a chance that it\'s carrying salmonella (sp?), which you could also be exposed to everytime you handle raw chicken.

Honestly, it might be best to release it back into the wild. There\'s so many captive bred RES in stores, one of them would appreciate a place in your home more than a wild turtle that was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Best of luck!
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:21 pm

i would release it back into the wild.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:07 pm

Since it is fresh from the wild, I would tend to agree to release it at or near the bayou. Some turtles carry not only salmonella but also parasites-mites, leaches, etc., so unless you have the money to have a vet check it for healthiness, I would let it go. Sorry if this isn\'t the answer you were looking for.
lilh

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:24 pm

im from southside houston texas, and here im sure we have red ear sliders.

I do want to release back into the wild since it is not eatting lettuce or this blood worm, but a few days ago i saw these kids shooting at turtles and fish in the bayou, making me eh.... and the water in the bayou is really low currently, is that safe?

I may give it to a friend though, she loves turtles and has raised 3 wild turtles. But im not sure, i just know i cant raise it and wanted some tips on feeding it for now.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:55 pm

go buy turtle sticks. reptomin to be exact. since it is still a baby it won\'t be used to other kinds of food yet and this will probably be your best bet.
lilh

Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:01 am

Last edited by lilh on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:23 am

For one thing, that turtle is a RES, and another they can\'t eat unless they are swimming in water, it looks pretty big, a juvenile I think, but it is probably still carnivorous, meaning it will more than likely still just want meat, try some cooked chicken and make sure that he is swimming in water when you give it to him, and get him a basking light, any lamp that can get close to him but not close enough to burn him will do. I live just south of Houston so the weather should be about the same, take him outside to sun himself for a while, the UV rays in the sun are alot better than any UV bulb you can buy.
Go to this site to find out more about what foods to feed it: http://www.turtlecare.net/food.htm
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:02 am

lilh wrote:
im from southside houston texas, and here im sure we have red ear sliders.

I do want to release back into the wild since it is not eatting lettuce or this blood worm, but a few days ago i saw these kids shooting at turtles and fish in the bayou, making me eh.... and the water in the bayou is really low currently, is that safe?

I may give it to a friend though, she loves turtles and has raised 3 wild turtles. But im not sure, i just know i cant raise it and wanted some tips on feeding it for now.
You should release it, regardless of kids with airsoft guns or not. Its safe as long as tehwater is hight enough for the turtle to swim.

For handling those kids, buy a paintball gun and shoot them if it ever happens again. I HATE it when that happens.

Well, i think this is a good time to tell all of you that I\'m only 15.
  • Information