Infection or shedding? please help....

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Vulleyalcoppy

Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:59 pm

We got 2 baby sliders about a month ago. They are in a 30 gallon tank with about 4-5 inches of water in it. They have a few places to bask, with a basking light and UV light as well. We just noticed that one of them has a raised area around one if its scutes. I am not sure if this is just normal shedding or an infeciton. I looked at the care and health pages but it doesn't really describe what it looks like, so I have no idea if this is OK or not. I was going to go and get some turtle dip (Zoo Med) and see if this helped. From reading some other articles I decided to use some aquarium salt (1 tblsp per 5 gal.) in the water, this was suggested for normal conditioning. We also use the ReptiSafe water drops. Can someone please show/direct me to some pictures, so that I can see what is normal? I also read somewhere that we should not use dip on babies. Ours are about 1 1/2 long.
Last edited by Vulleyalcoppy on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:13 pm

is it acting normal? swimming, eating, eyes clear, shell not soft..? i believe it is shedding scutes only but if u can post pix they'll help a lot.

so what are their names? :)
Vulleyalcoppy

Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:06 pm

The little guy is acting normal, eating, swimming. I do have a picture, may not be good enough though. There names are complicated. My daughter recued them from Chinatown in NYC, she wanted to give them a better home then the 4 x 4 plastic tub with the standard plastic palm tree they came home in. One is Hong Luigi and the other is Kong Squeegie, notice the Hong Kong reference......since they were bought in Chinatown. Luigi and Squeegie just rhyme nicely. I don't know how to post a picture, it is right now on my desktop.

J[/img]
centex
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:18 pm

Yeah sounds normal.........Get a photo bucket account...its free and you can transfer your pic to photobucket then give us a link or post the picture from there.
Vulleyalcoppy

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:18 am

OK I opened a PhotoBucket account. Hope I did this right. I have two pictures.
J

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:06 pm

ur daughter's doing the right thing :) they shouldn't live in those "death bowls" they are sold in.

anyways, i don't know if it's from the picture quality but i can see darker places on the shell. are they soft?
turtle_grl77

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:52 pm

I too noticed the dark spot.
Vulleyalcoppy

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:11 pm

Yes, he does have some darker areas on his shell. It doesn't appear that they are softer than other parts of his shell. His shell is sort of like stiff leather. It that the way it should be?

Should I try the ZooMed dip, it seems you suspect a bacterial infection of some kind. The little guy is about 1 1/2 inch long (shell size).

J
Vulleyalcoppy

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:01 pm

I ordered Novalsan online at PetMeds.com.....someone suggested this and/or a salt dip. I don't know how much salt to water and for how long he should be dipped. Any help would be appreciated.

J
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:20 pm

these are 2 treatments for shell problems and the first one uses nolvasan that u ordered
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/m ... #Treatment

let us know what happens :)
  • Information