turtle acting sick

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
YeNightmare
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:05 am

Just yesterday my turtle started acting pretty sick. He just camps out at the basking area and hasn't swum at all. He also refuses to open his eyes and just sleeps. He has strange translucent spots on his shell which I thought were due to lack of calcium and UV. He also refuses to eat! He was just fine before! Please help! :(

I'll post some pictures when i can.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:31 am

welcome to the board!
first we need to know what kind of turtle u have...then we need a little bit more info about ur enclosure? what's the temp of the basking area and the water?and what kind of lightning u have ect..i assume u have a aquatic turtle so u can try to raise the water temperature of 5 degree F and 10F in the basking spot(water 85F and 100F/103F for the basking)..
look if ur turlte tilt when swimming...and if bubble come out of is mouth when out of the water(could be a lung infection..)
keep us posted and i hope i could help...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:08 am

like yaya said + is it gasping??
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:02 pm

What is the water and basking area temp? I'd have the water temp at 82-83F and the basking area temp in the low 90's (the ones above are a bit too high, I think). Is it hot where you are? If so, is the turtle in a room with AC? If he is, move him away from any vents, breezes, drafts.

Does he have a UVB light (or access to direct sunlight)?

What is he being fed?
YeNightmare
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:32 pm

I have 2 red eared slider turtles. I have my water temperature at 86 degrees F, but drops during the night. My basking bulb heats the water so its pretty hot. I live in California and its pretty hot, but the turtles are in a room with no ac; and i dont know what the basking temp is but i have a reptile baskin bulb at 75 watts pointed direclty at the basking area. For uv, i have the 20 watt super coil bulb. a link to it is here-http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 535435780I feed them premium reptile sticks by wardley. They have cuttlebone available to them, but they refuse to eat it. The turtle is always sleeping and has his mouth open and makes some whining noises on occasion. This is the second time he has been like this but between he was very energetic and acted fine! He isn't bubbling, buy seems to be out of breath after a short swim. You can also kinda see the other turtles shell in the first picture. Im kinda worried about that one's shell but his behavior is very energetic. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!Image

Image[/img]
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:55 am

oh the baby :( his eyes don't look fine. ok here's what u'll have to do:

1- put him in a seperate tank with no water and keep the lights on him. and soak him for 30 min every 6 hours

2- bring 3 teaspoons of salt and mix them with a small cup of water. soak the turtle there for a couple of min. twice a day

3- go to the pharmacy and get human eye drops but make sure it is ok for animals. another option is getting cod liver oil tablets, breaking them and getting out the "oil". either one u use, rub it gently on his eyes with a clean cloth.

4- plz take good care of him :(

good luck and keep us posted
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:54 pm

It sounds like the one turtle does have a respiratory infection.

Can you regulate the temps better? And check the basking area with a thermometer to see what it is?

What have the turtles been fed?

For the areas in the picture--are they soft? Is there any odor? I don't think this is a fungus, so I don't think salt baths are going to help (if you really want to try use aquarium salt or sea salt, not table salt).

How old is the UVB light? How far away is it from the turtles? I'd get some powdered calcium supplement like RepCal (no phosphorus) and moisten their pellets, roll them in it (or put the powder and moistened pellets in a bag and shake it to coat them), let them dry and give it to them. If they won't eat pellets, try to coat other foods with the powder and hand feed them. Also, I'd get some plain cod liver oil, moisten a q-tip and apply it to the eyelids (not in the eyes) once or twice a day.
YeNightmare
Level 1
Level 1

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:26 pm

Thank you for all your advice! im rubbing cod liver oil onto his eye lids. I feed him premium reptile sticks by wardley 2 times a day. the uvb light is brand new-only one week old. It is excatly 9 inches from the turtle dock and is on 12 hours plus everyday. I am going to do the soaking later tonight. The turtle, who my sister has named Chocolate (XD), ate a pellet today when i put it right in front of him. So some improvement I hope. His shell feels nice, hard and solid albeit the weird dots. Do the black lines mean that is is getting ready to shed?
Also, for the oil, its getting into the tank water so while it's good that it'll be in contact with the turtles always, will it get into their eyes while swimming?

I know that their health isn't very good right now...Im doing my best, but I couldn't convince my parents for tank and equip so they've been in the street stand box with sunlight for 4 months. I just recently moved them last week into the 10 gal tank with uvb light, heat lamp, etc.

I know i may be asking a lot, but my other turtle is worrying me too. The shell looks weird and the spot i circles feels movable. Is it just shedding? or is it something to worry about? Im also rubbing cod liver oil onto his eye lids. He is acting completely fine though and is very active and swims a lot.

the other turtle (twinkle) XD

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:46 am

i got a bit confused here, r they both acting sick?

i know that the black lines get bigger as the turtle grows up, kinda like it stretches cz later (after a loong time), it will cover the whole shell and they'll have a darkish color.

for the oil, rub it on his eyes and keep him dry for some time after it. btw, eating is a good sign so try to keep them doing it :)

good luck and keep us posted
YeNightmare
Level 1
Level 1

Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:01 am

for clarification, i have 2 turtles. one of them is light green and named twinkle. the last picture i posted is twinkle. Twinkle is acting fine, is very active and hungry. However, im just concerned about the shell. Im new to RES so im not sure if it's normal.

The other turtle (chocolate) is the first turtle i asked for advice about. He is the one with the respiratory infection.

Im giving both of them some cod liver oil. Chocolate I hope is doing better because he ate a pellet today. However, he still wont open his eyes and is sometimes breathing hard even though he is standing still. Also, they both seem to be starting to pyramid. is 40% protein in each pellet and 2 pellets a day too much?

thank you for all of you help! :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:15 am

oh got it :oops:

a question is raised, how can u tell if the shell is pyramiding or it's the shape of the male turtle's shell?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:11 pm

Yenightmare, you should not be putting so much oil on the lids that it gets into the water. Put on a little of the cod liver oil for several days only and see if there's an improvement. The purpose of the cod liver oil is to help him if he has a vitamin A deficiency (I don't know the nutritional value of Wardley's, but something like Reptomin is a much better food). If your turtle does have a vitamin A deficiency, you should see improvement in a few days. If you don't see any improvement a Vit A deficiency isn't the problem and you should stop. Don't automatically start treating the other turtle with it if he doesn't have the same problem.

About the shell--if your turtle's have been living in poor conditions for a while, they'll eventually get shell problems. Your turtles now have a UVB light (what kind is it) as well a heat light, a basking area, clean water (do they have a filter)? Make sure the basking area temp is around 90F and the water temp is about 78-79F (do they have a submersible water heater?). Improve their diet (I'd get Reptomin Baby pellets since they're small) and get more calcium into them (I'd get a non phosphorus powdered calcium supplement, moisten the pellets, coat them with the powder, let them dry and feed them to your turtles).

The turtle that has possible respiratory problems should be kept a few degrees warmer than the other turtle (can you give him his own set-up?).

I don't see pyramiding in either of the pictures above (and I have no idea what the shape of a males shell comment means). Two pellets (each) of pellets that are 40% protein doesn't sound too much to me. If this amount is what would fit inside each head (if hollow), that's what they should have once a day (break it up into twice a day if you want to). Try varying with some other foods, but keep the pellets as a staple.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:12 pm

btw YeNightmare, give him natural sunlight it will help the eyes.

mariza it's ok i had a wrong idea, how embarassing :oops:
centex
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:58 am

well once again you guys beat me too it!!!!! :lol: 8)

You guys are good...too good!

John
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:06 am

meet the "elite crew" 8)
centex
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:28 pm

^^^here,here......dixieee :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:06 am

oh yes 8)

next time if it's not an emergency we'll keep it for u:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:51 pm

Dixieee usually beats me to it too :lol: :lol:
YeNightmare
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:35 am

thank you for all you info everyone!!! My turtles got better already!!! :D and it seems the cod liver oil did the trick. I'm going to switch to reptomin as soon as I can. Now, the turtles have good conditions now. (i think) 10 gallon tank, tetra power filter uvb light, heating lamp, dock, submersible heater. eeverything. :D o yea, im glad that they aren't pyramiding so thank you for your assurances! :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:23 am

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:Dixieee usually beats me to it too :lol: :lol:
8) :lol:

now the big challenge will be if i can still catch up while it's my last semester :cry:

this is great news YeNightmare :D i hope they'll recover completely. keep us posted
  • Information