HELP! Shell Irregularities - Steps to take?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Rakkasan240B

Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:44 pm

Hello all! I posted here when we first brought home our Red Eared Slider, Benjamin. Quite some time has passed since Benjamin joined out family and all the while something has been bothering me. Benjamin has some irregularities on his shell that haven't gone away. These include some small craters or pits and a bit of flakiness. Also the tips of his shell are somewhat translucent. Benjamin is fed about every three days and has comet goldfish available to him whenever he can catch one. I also make greens available from time to time. I've purchased a shell cream to aid the shell but so far it has provided no results. Benjamin is very active, and lives in a setup with plenty of swimming space as well as a good basking area. The swimming space is covered by a UV lamp while the basking area is covered by the heat lamp (see below). I also recently put the lights on timers to provide more consistency to Benjamin's (as well as our other animals) day. I've taken a few pictures of Benjamin after drying him off and attempted to highlight the problem areas in the second pic. This is starting to become a concern, but before we take our friend to the vet we'd thought we'd see if it was something that can be treated and corrected at home. Any thoughts and tips would be greatly appreciated.

mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:21 pm

Some of the circled areas look like old scutes that haven't shed for whatever reason. I wouldn't worry about the translucent tips, but if the cream you bought is Vita Shell, I wouldn't use it. I've read a number of problems with use of this cream, particularly as a treatment for shell problems. It will clog the shell over time and not allow it to breath, which is what you want and it needs to to do shed normally.

You said you have a UV light over the swimming area and a heat light over the basking area. UV doesn't say much--is it specifically a UVB light? You want to have both the UVB and heat light positioned over the basking area for your turtle to get maximum benefit. Water filters UVB rays. Your turtle needs the UVB rays for the health of his shell and bones, and depending on the light, if the light is more than 11-12 inches away from the turtle, he won't benefit from them.

How long are the lights on? What's the temp of the basking area? How old is the UVB light (if that's what it is)? I'd recheck the light positioning and basking area temp for starters. Does he get adequate calcium in his diet?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:34 pm

yeah it looks like shedding scutes..is he acting normally?
Rakkasan240B

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:02 pm

Thank you for the replies. First let me say that the turtle is acting normally and has never seemed to act as though he were ill at all.

Benjamin's diet consists of partaking in tropical fish flakes daily when I feed the comets in the tank, he also gets a comet as often as he can catch one. About two or three times a week he gets a cube or two of tubefex worms and twice a week he gets Reptomin Floating Food Sticks.

The UV lamp says that it emits 3%+UVB and 7%+UVA. I've also removed the lens of the UV lamps as per it's label recommendations. The heating lamp is a 75W bulb that creates a tempature of about 93 degrees in the basking area. Both lamps are positioned about 8 inches above the water line (about six inches above the basking area). The lights are on from about 7:30AM to approx. 10:30PM.

The cream was in fact VitaShell the use of which I will discontinue immediatly.

Thanks again for the replies and if I'm jumping at shadows that's by far more favorable than having a sick friend.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:19 am

everything sounds to be going in the right way..i guess there's nothing to worry about :)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:54 pm

Your turtle needs much more plant matter in the diet (an adult RES is more omnivorous than carnivorous). Do you have cuttlebone in the tank for a calcium supplement?

The UVB light is the ESU Super UVB Coil light (which emits 3% UVB)? If so, the 3% UVB is low as far as UVB lights go, and this light needs to be replaced every 6 months. How old is the light?
  • Information