Where to buy Enfloxil, Enrofloxacin, or Baytril?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
NoMoreNIU

Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:31 pm

I read a lot of people recommend Exfloxil for respiratory problems, where can I get this med? I've checked 2 Petco and 2 Petsmart but no luck. I called a few local fish/reptile stores too but again no luck. My 1 month old turtle isn't doing so good, it sleeps a lot, not eating, and can't sink to the bottom. I'd like to try Enfloxil first because a vet would cost $30 + $20 meds. Someone told me Enrofoxacin and Baytril are prescriptions only, so that's why I'm looking for Enfloxil. Thank you in advanced for your help!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:24 am

I have not had trouble with my turtles yet (knocking on wood), so I'm afraid I won't be of much use to you there, but mariza and yaya should be around soon and let you know what you need.

Good luck with your turtle, I hope he gets better. :(
NoMoreNIU

Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:27 pm

I tried 2 more local reptiles store today and no luck. One store recommeneded me try the Turtle Eyedrops because he said eyes are the secondary infection. So I bought a bottle and I hope it'll work.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:39 pm

Check this thread out, it may have more info you need:
http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/view ... l+betadine
NoMoreNIU

Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:24 am

Thanks for the link. Funny you mentioned shell rot because its shell is rotting a little, not a lot though, so I'll keep an eye on it. My wife said betadine is like iodine for cuts or infections, so I'll look into it.

This evening the turtle starting eating (after I woke it up from a day long nap). I think it can sleep all day, but if I wake it up it'll run around with eyes wide open. When I pick it up it kicks my fingers pretty strong too. Does this mean it's a good sign? I'm just worried that it sleeps so much. The other turtle is much more active, but I separated the 2 just in case.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:26 am

You're welcome :D

Strength and activity are a pretty good sign, but I still would not trust those signs too much. Separating him was a good idea, you don't want the other one getting sick too. I am glad he's starting to eat, it will help him get stronger. :)
NoMoreNIU

Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:24 pm

It has been 3 weeks and nothing much has changed. It still sleeps a lot, when I wake it up it'll eat maybe 1 of those Tetra sticks. I put eyedrops in every day but I don't think it's working. When I put it in water it still can't sink to the bottom.

It looks to me its sad and bored, and so does the other turtle living by itself. So today I put the 2 back together, I figured they can keep each other company. Just now they took a nap next to each other. I hope the sick one will get better soon.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:49 pm

Me too, I hope it gets better soon, and I hope the other doesn't get sick too. :(
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:26 pm

I believe you need prescriptions for all those drugs. Shell rot is serious--you shouldn't just keep an eye in it. If there's been no improvement by now, your turtle needs a herp vet.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:33 pm

i was told that i can find enfloxil at normal pharmacies but it didn't work in here..u can always order them online
  • Information