Please Help me! My turtle swim inclined to her right

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
jahp

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:04 am

Hi,
I have a red ear slider, and she swim inclined to her right...I thought that was nuemony but she do not has the tipical symptom like breathes with the open mouth and mucosity..please tell me what she could suffer...in my town the vets only knows about cat and dogs....and nobody wants to take care of her..

I will appreciate any suggestion.

Sorry for my bad english

[email protected]
deesygirl

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:51 am

Hi and welcome. It sounds as though your turtle has an infection. Not all symptoms are present in all turtles. Because getting a vet might be difficult for you, try increasing the water and basking temperatures, try 88 and 94 F. If early in the infection, heat treatment alone can be effective. If your turtle has been ill for a while I would call the dog vet and ask about an injection of gentamicin or amikacin.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:14 am

welcome to the board :)

ur turtle is listing and this might be a sign of pneumonia..raise the temps in the tank and keep ur turtle dry..just soak it in water for half an hour every 12 hours..keep looking for a vet and ask the ones in ur area cz they should know something about reptiles..

i hope it gets well soon,,good luck and keep us posted
jahp

Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:00 am

thank for your answer,

I think my turtle is too small for be inyected, I can try with oral medicine?

I must separate it of the other turtles?

thanks for your help
deesygirl

Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:09 am

An oral antibiotic might help if the infection has not gone to far.

Yes you should seperate the ill one from your other turtles as infections can be spread.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:33 pm

Are there any zoos that handle reptiles that you could call? If so, maybe they could help.

If you try to give medicine orally, please be careful in trying to get liquid down the throat. It is easy for them to choke.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:11 am

mariza wrote:If you try to give medicine orally, please be careful in trying to get liquid down the throat. It is easy for them to choke.
and they can also get poisoned easily by an overdose so be careful with that..did u get any medicine? i know a good one but first ask any vet or zoo in your area..somebody should know something about that

good luck and keep us posted
jahp

Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:40 am

dixieee wrote:
mariza wrote:If you try to give medicine orally, please be careful in trying to get liquid down the throat. It is easy for them to choke.
and they can also get poisoned easily by an overdose so be careful with that..did u get any medicine? i know a good one but first ask any vet or zoo in your area..somebody should know something about that

good luck and keep us posted

Please tell me the name of that medicine...she is not good, i toke her to a herpetologist, but she is to small to be inyected
  • Information