soft shells

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
kevin89
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:35 pm

Ok i got a UV light that says it good for aquatic plants and animal so i assume it work for turtles now i pick him up today out the water to clean his tank on bottom his shell it getting soft and the top not much but on side it soft i put the UV light directly on him in his tupperwear bowl while i clean his tank i am planning to cut the glass screen so the UV light can get through my question is now.... Is there anything i can buy at pet store that help his shells? or anything i think i saw somthing at wal mart i could've got if i knew this much sooner he now laying on the rock underneath the UV light that direct on him nothing blocking the light i am now going to go work on the tank then try to cut the glass out the way so i can get him some direct light..and i hope i have the right kinda light..i got the light at lowes it says it UVB on it and it says it good for aquatic life animal and planet.

Am i doing the right thing i am going to leave him where he is for while maybe take him outside to get some real sunshine but he sleepin more offen and stuff. i kinda starting to get worry i need to make him better and healthier. any suggestion?
i am kinda worry i have the wrong type of light the lights is 15W i'm prolly getting ready for a trip to the pet store tonight but my dad got a fishing tournament at 6:00 i may have to wait till tommrow. kinda getting worry right now what to do any suggestion i know his shells are due to my lack of light but i been on vacation my mom said she leaves it on all day turn it off at night i am wondering if i have wrong type of light.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:54 pm

It would be better to get a UV light at the Petstore, since they are made especially for reptiles, the one from Lowes is more than likely made for plants which don't require as much UV, at least I don't think they do, but until then you can take him outside to get some direct sunlight (with nothing blocking the sun), it is a whole lot better than any UV bulb, you should take him outside for a couple of hours or more if you can, just provide some shade so that he can get out of the sun if he gets too hot. :D
kevin89
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:18 pm

I am going to pet store this weekend to see how much they cost, and i took him outside today for direct sunlight no blocking so..and by the way i am kinda thinking that normal for him to be soft..i read at austin turtle pages that tiny turtle like mine shells are soft but as they grow it should harden with right calcium and UV light. is that true but i am still going to treat this matter seriously right away. Mom said she left the UV light on all day while i was gone turn it off right before she went to bed.
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:38 pm

I found a product called "Vitashell" from Petsmart. Its made specifically for turtle shells. You apply it once a week to help strengthen the shell and keep it healthy. It seems to have helped with my turtles' shells.
kevin89
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 pm

toxiceagle2007 wrote:I found a product called "Vitashell" from Petsmart. Its made specifically for turtle shells. You apply it once a week to help strengthen the shell and keep it healthy. It seems to have helped with my turtles' shells.
i was looking for that on petsmart i cant find it can you get me link? i like to see it. een tho i may buy somthing similar to it tommrow or satuday at pet store.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:18 pm

Here is a reference for the next time you go to the petstore, although, I think that mariza had a caution about creams like that, it would clog the pores in the turtle's shell, I would check on that. :D
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:14 pm

Sorry...i forgot to mention this...

I called a herp vet in my area about the vitashell....he said to use it sparingly. (like once a week) and apply a light coat. In this case more is definately not better. Also, a little tip.....let your turtles soak in a container other than their tank so the lotion doesn't cause cloudy water.
kevin89
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:47 pm

I'm thinking i read that small turtle like mine have soft shells it suppose to harden as they get older, i be at pet store sunday or maybe tommrow and i get him some those calicum one i think i get one in a jar cuz i dont want the on that look like a baby turtle wouldn;t he think it a real one since it about same size as him?
  • Information