Turtle appears to have trouble breathing

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Celina

Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:04 pm

I have a small aquatic turtle and she seems to have some trouble breathing and doesn't eat a thing for over a week.
I don't know exactly what kind of a turtle it is, but it's all green, yellow underside, the shell is jagged on the edges (kinda like a saw), and a portrudent spine (she get's plenty of sunlight, do I think it's not some bone condition... I've read that low light might cause shell malformation).

She used to jump at food, now she just sits there, streatching it's neck and opening it's mouth as if gasping for air. This may have some connection with the fact that a while ago (and although this is really very rare), I left the water get too dirty. I've always tried to change the water every 2 days or so, but...

Still, she doesn't eat and is getting very weak.
I tried getting her to eat something, but when she gets the food in her mouth, she just tries to get it away with it's paw and seems to have a reflex to throw up (vomit) or something like that.
Since most vets here know nothing of turtles, I thought of trying the net instead.
Hope you can help. Thank you.
Celina

Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:06 pm

BTW, this turtle shares it's aquarium with a slider turtle (it's big enough for both). Think I should separate them for a while?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:07 pm

yep take it out so the other turtle doesn't catch anything from it or even try to hurt it more..ur turtle probably has pneumonia and should be treated immediately cz in most cases it is fatal..how often does it gasp for air? if it's too much then u HAVE to take it to the vet (any vet might know something about turtles cz one for dogs and cats knew) if u don't want it to suffer more..u can't do anything much at home cz it needs medication or shots in some cases..all u can do for now is put it in a seperate tank with no water and raise the temps to the high 80's..soak the turtle twice a day for half an hour and try to get it eat cz not eating is a bad sign..put it under UV light or direct natural sun would be much better..now get a cup of water and mix with it 2 tablespoons of salt and soak the turtle in it for 2-3 minutes..these things have to boost her immune system a bit but still the vet is needed (at least call one and ask u won't lose anything)..

good luck and keep us posted
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:08 pm

I agree, I believe your turtle has RI, you need to take it to a reptile vet to get medication for it, it could die from RI, I hope it your turtle makes it. :(

Please keep us posted.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:55 pm

Find a qualified reptile vet. If the turtle is at the point where she's not eating, she needs a vet. What are the temps of the basking area and water? I'd separate the turtle that's sick from the one that's not showing any symptoms.
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:27 pm

try to heat the temperature of the basking area and the water up a bit. if the turtle still doesn't eat, try putting tuna fish juice (tuna in water NOT oil) on the food. perhaps the smell just makes her need to be tempted to eat :)
  • Information