Hatchlings Shell Is Craked.... Please HELP!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:42 pm

I just received a RES hatchling today. This is the smallest one I've seen yet! It is smaller than a quarter.

When I got her, I noticed two cracks in her shell. That can't be good!

I put her in her new home (30 gallon tank) and she seemed fine. She ate right away and was siwmming all over.

Then she crawled up the basking area and slept for about 4 hours. I picked her up and she was clinging to rocks and she did not move. I thought she already died. I was holding, talking and moving her around and I didn't get any responce. I wanted to take a picture of her to show the people I bought it from. That way I can get a new one. When i took the picture, her eyes opened and she started to be real active again. I placed her down and then she closed her eyes right away and nothing seems to wake her up.

What is going on with this turtle? I think the shell crack has something to do with this weird behavior.

Thanks,
Nick
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:42 am

I found this website....it might be of some help. You might want to see a vet.

http://www.turtlecare.net/repair.htm[/url]
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:35 am

if the shell isn't bleeding then it's not really the big deal now (although it has to be treated ASAP)..there is something else with it so take it to the vet..did u notice any other signs? soft shell, swollen eyes...?

i hope nothing's wrong with it..good luck and keep us posted
deesygirl

Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:45 am

Is there any way you could post a picture? If the plastron looks cracked it may just be her age. Hatchlings do have a crack there and it will close on it's own. They also have soft shells and need a good full spectrum light to firm up. I would also suggest a good liquid vitamin as a calcium suppliment.

Edited to add: Hatchlings also need a slightly warmer enviroment. What is your water temps? I would suggest around 80. They also tire very easily and so they are prone to basking more.
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:59 am

Wow Thanks for all the help!

I will try to post a picture later today.

I do have the water around 80 degress.

I don't think her eyes are swollen at all, but her shell is very, very soft. The bottom part doesn't even feel like a shell. Is that because they were born the beginning of April?

When I woke up this morning, she seems great again.

I will have to get her into the vet on Monday, I guess.

Thanks,
Nick
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun May 01, 2005 10:05 am

it's normal for a hatchling to have a soft shell..i don't know why would it be cracked though cz it's too young (didn't have the chance to get into fights) except if it's a tiny trouble-maker :)

get a calcium block it will help harden the shell

good luck and keep us posted
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Sun May 01, 2005 1:38 pm

Is a calcium block the same as a cuttlebone?

When does the shell start to harden on hatchlings?

Thanks,
Nick
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun May 01, 2005 2:27 pm

hmm i don't think it's the same cz cuttlebone is the one for birds but calcium blocks are supposed to dissolve in water..maybe they are substitutes cz turtles will eat them both so u can choose either one

for the shell, it has to harden when it's not a hatchling anymore..i suppose after 1-2 months it should be ok..yet, i don't think it's a rule that all hatchlings should have soft shells so don't worry if u heard something else about someone's turtle :)
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Sun May 01, 2005 3:06 pm

Are calcium blocks the turtle shaped things you put in the water?

Also, I have a turtle that was born in late 2004 and his shell is a little soft. I read somewhere that I should take him out of the water and leave him in a box for 24 hours to harden his shell up. I never see him basking and I am trying to get him to eat the pellets that have calcium in them, but all he eats right now are the shrimp.

Thnaks,
Nick
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun May 01, 2005 4:58 pm

Thost turtle shaped things are turtle conditioners, they contain calcium and other vitamins the turtle needs, so I guess it can be used for the purpose of getting your turtle to eat it's calcium, mine love to attack that turtle conditioner.

On a baby turtle, I don't know if it is a good idea to leave it out of the water for that long, I would say that you can leave it out of the water for a couple of hours of basking a day, any more than that I can't recommend because it may dehydrate since it is so small.

If you want your turtle to eat the pellets with calcium in them, you can soak the pellets in some tuna juice, make sure it is canned in water not oil, let the pellets soak for about 10 minuits before giving them to the turtle, I have had very good results with the tuna juice, my turtles devour their turtle food. :lol:
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Sun May 01, 2005 6:07 pm

Great Thanks,

I will have to try the tuna juice.

When useing the powdered calcium. Do I wet the pellets or shrimp and them roll them in the powder and let them dry again?

Thanks Again,
Nick
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Sun May 01, 2005 7:20 pm

Here is the picture of the baby.

You can see her shell is cracked on her left side. Do I need to worry at all?

http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/4262abe0 ... CBewBbnUKH
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun May 01, 2005 8:28 pm

Can't see the picture, it says something about not being allowed to see it.
Try posting it on www.photobucket.com it is free to start an album, that is what alot of us do.
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Sun May 01, 2005 9:46 pm

Sorry,

How about this.....

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun May 01, 2005 10:26 pm

Yeah, that's better.

I kinda looks like shedding, but usually the scutes are pretty much transparent, could it be that the water temp. is too hot?

Make sure it doesn't have any kind of puss or any other sign of shell rot, and it would be a very good idea to take it to the vet so that they can tell you what to do next.
deesygirl

Sun May 01, 2005 11:50 pm

It could also be caused from to much food. Hatchlings eat mostly protien and to much can cause the shells to grow to fast. I can see the shell is peaking on the top.
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Mon May 02, 2005 12:41 am

Too much food? Really...? What does it mean that the shell is peaking?

What do you guys suggest I do? Limit her food? Give more calcium?

If I take her to the vet, will I get in trouble because it's so small?

I read that it is illegal to sell baby turtles, is it alright to own one?

Thanks,
Nick
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon May 02, 2005 3:52 am

what a cute baby :D

it's a small crack and she seems to be fine with it..if u can take it to the vet then it'll be good..the law doesn't apply everywhere and even if it did, it's illegal to sell and not to buy so u're out of it :wink:

btw, i believe this cute baby will grow up to become a HE :)
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Mon May 02, 2005 10:10 am

A he.... really? When I purchased it, I was given the option of a male or female and I picked a female.

How can you tell the sex when they are this small?

Thanks,
Nick
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon May 02, 2005 12:51 pm

actually u can't but i don't know how they do in some shops!

i asked them once and they said it's something about their bottom shell..they can feel a small bump..it'd too early to tell but i compared it to mine and it shares more things with the one i was told is a guy (longer nails, more concave shell)

but it doesn't matter if u're not planning to breed turtles in the future..i had a female hamster which i bought as a male..they were mistaken but i wasn't convinced so i called him Marvin and got him (her) a female hamster later to mate..ok i was somehow young at that time :oops:
  • Information