Newbie Help

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:41 am

Hello All,

I am a avid wildlife lover and wanted to add something unique to my home. So after a lot of reading I decided a turtle or two would be a great pet.

My girlfriend and I got a 4\" painted turle from my Uncle\'s pond and purchased about $200 worth of supplies for him. I have him in a 75 gallon tank all decked out for him and he loves it. He even loves tearing up all the plants I put in the tank. LOL

We did a little searching on the internet and decided we wanted to get a RES hatchling. We had an extra 30 gallon tank laying around so we went for it. I received the turle about a week ago. When I first got him he was very active. He hasn\'t eaten much (like once or twice) and now he never seems to come out of the water. Today I changed the water in his tank, I let him roam around my home and he didn\'t move. (for about 30 min.) Then when I went to place him in his tank he stuck his head out but his eyes did not open and his shell seemed pretty soft. When I put him in his tank I put him in his basking area and he went right in the water and just lays on the bottom. I only have 3\" of water in his tank. I am getting a little worried about him. What should I do? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks, Nick
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:02 am

welcome to the board:)

hmmm shut eyes and a soft shell, a common problem between hatchlings..ok let\'s see

1-sound like u know what a setup should include so i\'ll assume u have all the basking and heat equipment, bulbs, and whatever else..right?

2-it\'s normal for a turtle especially a baby to act to in the first couple of weeks bcz it feels insecured and is still stressed out from the move..that\'s why most of them don\'t eat for a while and don\'t get out of water cz they feel safer in there..that\'s ur job to make it feel safe and secured..

3- get some calcium blocks or cuttlebone and put it in water..that\'ll strengthen ur turtle\'s shell

4- the puffy eyes, go to the petshop and get him eye drops..if u didn\'t find any then go to a normal pharmacy and get human eye drops..just make sure it\'s ok to be used on animals

5- what are the temps in the setup (water/basking area)?? raise them to the high 80\'s F cz the little guy\'s immune system needs to be boosted by heat..DON\'T boil him! 80\'s to low 90\'s is more than enough..

6- try getting him to eat..put some tuna fish in front of him..it\'s smelly and will have to work cz it did 2 times with my turtles..remember that they only eat in water so place it in shallow water..

good luck with the little guy and keep us posted
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:11 am

Yes, I have all the right equipment. I never new setting up for a pet turtle was so expensive! lol

Can I purchase cuttlebone at a local pet store? I have read some postings on it and would like to purchase one.

The basking area is in the low 80\'s.

I will have to try the tuna. The only thing that he has eaten was the zoomeds turtle treats. I can not get him to eat the food I got with him.

Thank you for your help!
-Nick
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:18 am

most welcome:)

yeah who thought a small turtle would need all that stuff..when i got mine i thought i could keep them in a small container with an inch of water, feeding them lettuce and that\'s it..later i learned that it\'s a commitment

anyways, yes u can get it at any petshop most probably in the birds\' section (cz that\'s its main purpose)..cut it into pieces and put it in the tank

good luck
  • Information