What is a uv bulb?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
TurtlexDoll
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:29 pm

Do I need a certain amount of sun light for my turtle Herbert shell is getting soft and he just stays under water. He looks around every so often but he looks sick. Please help its urgent.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:05 pm

well, you leed a uva lamp (aka basking light)(and a basking spot) and a uvb light. uvb is alot like a florescent light but a normal florescent wont put out uvb. you can pick one up for about 15 bux at your local fish store/petco. if you dont know what a basking spot is look at the setups. both a basking spot and heater are neccissary.
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:26 am

What is your water temperature? If the water is too warm, the turtle will be inclined to stay in the water. The water should be about 78-80*F. My basking area reaches about 90*F or the upper 80s. A bulb with UVA and UVB light is also needed. And of course a basking lamp. You might add calcium or cuttle bone to the water to increase the shell\'s hardness. A local pet store should be able to help.

Is he eating? That is sometimes not eating is a symptom of a sickness.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:43 pm

if ur turtle is new then it\'s normal for it not to get out of water and not to eat..yet, it shouldn\'t last for more than 2 weeks..let him get used to u..and yes u need a UVA and UVB bulbs to substitute the whatever they need from sunlight..

since when do u have ur turtle? is it eating? did u notice any problem other than the shell like puffy eyes or something??
  • Information