turtle: dead or not?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:07 pm

Hi. I have a bunch of turtles (13 ryt now) a female RES about 4-5 in. was my thirteenth at the time. we named her Jade and bought her in august. i hav an outdoor pond and within 2 hours or her being bought and put in the pond she was gone. we looked everywhere but nothin could be done. its almost April and I live in Boston, MA so it was a pretty harsh winter and my neighbor just found jade in the middle of his driveway. her head is all the way in her shell and her feet and hands are out and soft. we put he in water but we dont kno if she is dead or hibernating. we wouldn\'t want to bury a living turtle. please help

Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:31 pm

i really need help. please give me some input.
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:58 pm

When you say you put her in water, do you mean the outdoor pond or someplace inside? If it\'s been a cold winter and she just made her way to your neighbor\'s driveway, it sounds like she was hibernating somewhere, then came out of it due to a warm couple of days or lack of fat stores to keep her going while she was hibernating. If it\'s the latter, she was probably looking for food, and got caught out in the cold and more or less shut down, or worse... froze to death. If she\'s used up her fat reserve, putting her back out in the cold is a bad idea. If she\'s inside now, I\'d see if you can slowly warm her back up and gradually start feeding her. I\'d start out with small amounts of food, and a shallow pool of water.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:30 pm

I agree, first try to warm your turtle up and see if it is still alive, make sure that you warm it up gradually or it may go into shock, do not put it in warm water, just let it stay in a container to come to room temp., when it starts to move around, you can introduce it to some water so it can drink and do its business.

Let us know how it all turns out.:D:D, good luck.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:17 am

i hope she\'s not but since u found her outside then it is confusing..as u said, u don\'t wanna burry a living turtle so keep her in for a while and i hope everything is ok with her..

good luck and keep us posted
  • Information