Flying Turtles

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:25 am

I am going to be visiting my family for about a week and a half around Thanksgiving time, and there is no one who can take care of my turtles for me while I am gone.

I am going to be flying to Florida, and I think the only option I have is taking the turtles with me. My question is, can turtles fly? I dont know if the changes in air pressure would severly effect them, particularly if I keep them in water while on the plane.

Has anyone here ever flown with a turtle before? Are Penny and Lulla ready for takeoff?

If they can\'t fly, is there anything I can do to ensure my turtle\'s health and safety while I am gone for a long stretch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please email me at [email protected] or respond here with suggestions.

Thanks guys!
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:05 pm

i\'m not sure about the air presure but if there isnt n e thing rong with it then i think that might be best. but i dunf u had to leave them u could use a timer for the basking light and put in feeder fish that they could eat. do u have a friend who would fem. even if not every day just a few time through out the week. gl
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:42 pm

I doubt the airlines would take your turtles and they would need to be with you if you lights have heaters and someone can come in and feed them(a friend,relitive,trusted neighbor,etc.)then your all set.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:47 am

Places like arts of nature ship turtles, though I dont approve of how I have heard they send them. So they could fly, however you would need to talk to the airlines about how it could be done. That is kinda sticky as you cant fly an aquarium full of water, but they will need water. Depending on how long the flight and time before and after the flight they will be without water. Your best option would be to have someone take care of the turtle. Check if you have a herp vet in your town, and maybe they could board it for you, like people do with dogs. It couldnt hurt to call around.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:22 am

Ive already called the airline, and they said that it would be okay if I brought them in their little \"travelling\" tank and held them on my lap.

I know that they would be without heat and would be cramped for a few hours, but I figure that is better than them being without heat for a week.

I am too afraid to leave my heat lamp on a week straight because it could cause a fire. At the moment, I can\'t afford a timer.

I can\'t imagine that Im the only one on this board who has ever had to take their turtles on a trip...if you have, please give me some advice.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:25 pm

Go to http://www.turtlecare.net/fly.htm for some information on how to fly with turtles. From personal experience (a recent 12-hour flight) I can tell you that your turtles should do OK if you keep them on a cloth that is kept very damp at all times. However, you will need to hydrate them (put them in water so they can drink) every few hours as well if the flight is a long one.

Just curious, but what was the name of the airline that told you it was OK to bring your turtles with you on board? (Not many allow it.)
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:39 am

It was ATA that told me it shouldn\'t be a problem.

Thanks for your help!!
  • Information