right eye problem RES 3yrs

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
yMunir

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:15 am

My RES has a problem opening right eye thers some kind of a white spot that opens and closes with the eye.He dosent use the right eye very often only when im rly close to him he keeps it closed.

Picture link: https://imgur.com/VX9RFke
Picture link: https://imgur.com/sS4OwIM

Sorry for other 2 posts both of them didnt upload pictures.
Chopsley
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:21 pm

The "eye" look's ok in photo. A turtle has three eye lids and may be something irritating one of them. See my reply on the first March 7th post to help. Thanks for the photo's , eye looks healthy , just something tiny may be in it under a lid , use my suggestions on the other post to help. The "lower " lid looks a little irritated , turtle drops will help. A turtle has an upper and a lower and a nictitaing lid , things do get trapped under them sometimes. Second if not perfect on water changes with those OTC water conditioner drops can also irritate the eye or lids . Even wrong placement on lighting too. I'm an very old timer and have never used any chemicals/conditioner for any turtles in sixty years , just read some of the "SDS's on them ! Not all reptile water conditioners are safe for turtles !
Also a turtles eyes /lids are an indicator when a deficiency in vitamin "A" // hypovitaminosis "A". If after a few days of drops no improvement adjust diet to a more varied , well balanced and more nutritious diet.
yMunir

Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:18 pm

Thanks iv been giving my turtle eydrops it seems that he is using his right eye more often now, also iv been giving him more of the green alge pellets.To help his vitamin A improve.
Thanks for your reply.
Chopsley
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:23 pm

Keep that plan going but I do want you to watch for secondary / systemic problem 's if any. Hope only something under eye lid and washes out or just a tweak in diet needed .
Here's a good read : http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/eyeprobs.htm

I use alga pellets too. Pleco wafers ok too. Dark leafy green's (leave only ) good too and shredded carrots are better. Both high in beta carotene.
Since people all around the world read this forum this is very good to for turtles that don't like veggies. Hikari wheat germ pellets sold for Koi fish. High in vitamin "A" for the eyes. I have tested it for 3 years and also find it helps a turtle shell when shedding. Also documented research is out there about helping a turtle shell. All picky turtles I've given it to seems to love it. And for "adult" turtles it low in protein , only 32% . So that's great for older turtles (adult) since they should be on 60-70% veggies anyway with protein every other day..
  • Information