New baby red eared slider turtles

Do you have questions about the basics of turtle care?
teadissanny

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:31 am

Is it true about the bacteria? how lond do they have it?

How do I take care of them?
how long to they live?
are they male or female? (babies very small about an inch or too)
Are crikets ok for food?
Do I NEED a uv light? Can I put them in sunlight instead?
any info would be help ful
suippefrepunk

Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:56 am

have you looked at the caresheets? this sites quite good too http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/c ... slider.htm
turtle_grl77

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:09 am

my turtles loves :arrow: crickets! I only feed them crickets like once every 7-10 days if not longer. I ususally buy 10 cricktes and like 20 feeders. Within like 10 min all crickets are gone.
Urbanoidstav1961

Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:41 pm

yes they carry the bacteria called salmonella.
it depend what breed you have.and you can do niether put them in sinlight or but uvb light.they live up to 20 years.
renaimburgia472

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:17 am

20YEARS!!!! :O i though my RES would live ovar 100 years... :cry:
Limited Edition

Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:53 pm

ssaraj wrote:Is it true about the bacteria? how lond do they have it?

How do I take care of them?
how long to they live?
are they male or female? (babies very small about an inch or too)
Are crikets ok for food?
Do I NEED a uv light? Can I put them in sunlight instead?
any info would be help ful
Buy the largest aquarium you could possibility buy. The bigger the better. You will be surprised at how fast they will grow out of smaller tanks. It also depends on how many turtles you have. General rule is 1 inch of RES = 10 gallon. Do some calculations and the tank becomes very big.
Filter, basking lamp, heater, rocks, gravel are all the basic habit home.

I have RES that are near 20 human years and they are healthy and active. I won't be surprised to see them live like this for another 15 years easy. It's a matter of how they are brought up, including dieting and basking and some good loving.

Sex is hard to determine at an early stage, but longer tail and finger nails determine female. Vice versa for male. Overall females are typically larger shell wise than male

Crikets are a good source of protein and a treat once in a while. I don't recommend this as a daily meal. Stick to Pellets, dried shrimps, dried fish lettuce, veggies etc that should all be consumed in a small amount of time.

UV light is highly recommended if they spend most of the time indoors and away from sunlight. IF you are lucky enough to haev a place where they spend outdoors, that is your best bet. I was told UVB/UVA light is only effective when they spend about 5-6 hrs underneath it, which is only equvalent to 1 hours spend under direct sun. Babies must use this and it mandatory for their growing years.

I hope that answers all of your questions.
  • Information